TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question about the Boost Machine .... benefits from increasing actual boost (vs required boost) ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Boost Machine .... benefits from increasing actual boost (vs required boost) ....

Hello everybody .. the other day I made some boost pressure logs in my car . I had compared the actual boost in the car versus de required boost from the ECU ( with Oettinger chip) . The thing is that the real boost far much higher than the required by the ECU (per example ... 1.6 bar real vs 1.3 bar required). Thinking this was too much I played with my boost machine until I obtained results that were more equal when compared (per example 1.4 bar real vs 1.2 required) . I quite noticed that the torque sensation decreased + the car pulled better at high revs.. Why should this be? isn´t it supposed that as long as I cover the demanded pressure by the ECU the car should run the same? do I get more benefit from setting back my boost up to the first numers I saw? Do I discar the readings from the required boost from the ECU? ....

PS : How will a S. Schwing´s BAMM affect the boost readings (both real & required) ?

Any help or info will be appreciated .. don´t know if the results I saw have much relation with the boost machine (thinbk so but need some enlightment here)...

Thanks all & have a great day !

Robo , from Spain
Old 12-16-2004, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in requested vs. actual don't matter, provided they're within a certain range.

If they get TOO far from each other, you'll throw a code.

If the car isn't throwing one, though, you won't have any problems at all.

The reason it feels different at higher RPM? Well, you lose boost there, and the car is relying on revs to make power instead of boost. It feels like there's less of a drop off, though, when you aren't running the boost machine -- because there is.

That should explain why it feels different there.

As far as the BAMM, well, I just ordered mine. I'll let you know. ;-)