TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...

Why do you think SPS3 would need further tuning? When you buy an APR re-prog'ed ECU, do you have to tune it further to your individual car ? Have you driven or dyno'd REVO SPS3 against APR/GIAC/etc ? Or have you just been talking to salesmen?

By using hardware (dongle) for switching, it's even easier to hide from the dealer (just hide the dongle) than pressing some sequence of buttons on the car itself. And using a dongle to switch is simpler to implement, meaning less code to flash. (which is one possibility why APR couldn't "fit" their code into the ECU in a VAG flashable format)

And why do you think it more likely for a dealer to check the ECU software version on a REVO'd TT, than on a chipped TT where the ECU was manually replaced ? I see the later case as having a much higher probability. And the former case as very remote unless the owner was making a big warranty claim on the engine (blown turbo, etc).

-M
Old 09-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...

Also, I see no technical reasons as to why a mfr like Audi couldn't have a means of detecting a re-programmed ECU from APR/GIAC/etc, even if they keep the stock software intact. They're obviously adding some software to the ECU.

Are you telling me that they have no way of finding that out if they really want to?

And the solution of keeping a spare ECU around would apply to REVO as well as any of the others. (and if I "blow" my engine to the point it needs replaced, you better believe I'd consider picking up a spare ECU real quick...)
Old 09-12-2003, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought that the APR was the only one that wasn't detectable to the OBD tools?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:14 PM

Default You misunderstand...

I meant that really without a dyno, SPS 3 is only a guess when you're adjusting.

I have driven SPS3, but not in a TT, and ridden in a Revo'd TT.

I have nothing against REVO per se. I think that their tuning is good. I just think that some other things make GIAC a better option overall, and their software is more powerful. And yes, we tested a GIAC chipped car against a REVO car (the revo car having a catback also and the giac car not even the most recent software) and the GIAC car pulled up top on it.

I agree with you on the APR thing. I think that it's their extra coding which doesn't allow them to do the DPP on the TT's. Personally, I don't think that they're stuff is all that hot anyway.

But GIAC IBE or socketing allows you to switch into stock mode, and have the dealer test, flash whatever they want.

With regard to picking up Revo.. the dealer would see a different version of the software, versus simply seeing a completely stock (and updated) chip with the proper software.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Different... Think of GIAC IBE as an A/B switch in your ECU

which flips a switch between your stock chip and the GIAC program(s). Therefore, there is nothing different than a stock ECU and therefore in no way software identifiable.

As far as normal chipping, yes audi can see it, including direct port.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:22 PM

Default I could never understand why

people were so paranoid about chipping, If you chip your car you should be willing to fore go your warranty...Nobody should argue whether extra boost puts more strain on components, its cut and dry and they do...I agree with no warranties on chipped cars..only for engine components ect..everything else should still be warrantied...As for revo..if a tech took your car for a drive with a vag com hooked up..wouldnt he notice that is was operating outside of factory boost levels? The whole serial port thing to me is a cheap gimmick...at least with all the other companies you actually get to physically own a part...If people are so paranoid about dealer detection, they shouldnt mod...or they should be prepared to spend money to fix the car..
Old 09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't direct port put the thing back to stock just as easily?

I was under the impression that you could just switch it back before going in for service.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Yes, it can...

In the case of Revo it's the same exact settings, it's just that the software isn't Audi's, it's Revo's. (so yes, they could detect a different s/w version IF they were looking for it.)
Old 09-12-2003, 05:06 PM

Default I don't know what IBE is. Where is the GIAC code located?

If it's flashed into the ECU, I see no reason why Audi couldn't detect it.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:07 PM

Default IBE is a switching unit which switches between modes...

When you're in stock mode, the stock chip is direcly accessible allowing the dealer to do what they want regarding reprogramming.

Quick Reply: Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...