TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default But what of the antenna that sticks out of the ECU to allow IBE switching or was that only ver 1?...

Hard to miss that?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dude, give it up and stop trying to sell GIAC. Revo is a great choice and direct ECU mods are dead

Every other market i.e. BMW, Ford, GM, etc. has had direct port re-mapping for years now. I never liked the hard-modification of the ECU because there was always a chance of issues/failures. The Revo model of direct reflashing is what everyone should have been doing from the start. With APR and Revo now offering it, how long do you think it will be until others follow? The direct-flash is also a much higher profit margin for the developers and dealers so my guess is that the direct ECU-mod days are over.

What about GIAC software? As a person who lived with a GIAC modified car for almost four years I'd say that there were some pretty bad versions of the code. Now that Garrett has full-time access to a Dyno, the later code seemed to be better but their customer service was always bad.

Now with my 2003 TT, I've delayed "chipping" to wait for Revo support because in my mind, it is the only way to go.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that is an issue the newer version.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Well, I don't know where to begin telling you how wrong you are....

First because I'm not "selling" GIAC. People can make their own decisions. I am just furnishing information.

Direct ECU mods are not "dead"... For G-d sakes REVO is the only one so far... (APR can't do it on our 225's). Which goes to show something important. By flashing onto the stock chip you are memory limited, especially if more than one version of software has to be stored on there (stock and modded for example).

If you knew much about car's systems you would understand how different the GM/Ford cars you speak of are from our Audi's which are much more complex to tune.

A lot of the "chips" previously offered for those vehicles were inline, which no longer usually work quite the same with the advent of newer electronics systems which will compensate to try to get around an inline.

As far as the direct port, they have Hypertech (really mostly a fuel grade adjustment from 87 to 93 octane), and that's all as far as I know, and BMW has the shark programmer or something.

There are inherent problems with direct port chipping, which I clearly outlined.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't agree. I want it all: performance, warranty, and Angelina Jolie!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:47 AM

Default So it's a completely seperate unit, and you're just switching...

between it and the stock ECU? True, that would eliminate the issue of dealer reprogramming (which isn't a big issue lets face it), but it makes accidental detection even more likely. (they'll see it)
Old 09-13-2003, 07:49 AM

Which costs how much?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:00 AM

Default You've claimed 2 inherent problems of direct port...

1) non-stock code (which could be detected)
2) overwriting by dealer (during an upgrade)

These problems aren't "inherent," they're REVO specific. And in my opinion very minor niggles which are balanced by the advantages of direct port over hardwired options.

For (1), in theory, the stock code could flashed along with the additional performance code via direct port. We don't know exactly why Revo didn't do this. Perhaps it was legal issues or practical issues (space for xtra code on chip for example).

(1) is a very small quibble, as detection is a risk for all of methods of chipping. Accidental detection seems more likely to me in the case of hard-wired. Purposeful detection (they're looking for it) is unpreventable in either case.

As for (2), overwriting if the mfr had the dealer upgrade the ECU firmware is indeed a possibility, but only if Revo doesn't support it's buyers. It seems that upgrades by the dealer are a rare (if ever) occurance.

-MM
Old 09-13-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Huh?

#I meant that really without a dyno, SPS 3 is #only a guess when you're adjusting.

That's true of any chip, so what's your point?

You've entirely missed the point that SPS3 is a tool (not the entire solution, which yes, would involve other tools) for making your own adjustments to more parameters to just boost and timing. It's a great tool for the advanced tuner who is setup to properly evaluate the results (eg. with a wideband O2 sensor).

And only Revo offers such an easy way (via OBD) to do this sort of fine tuning.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you are going to promote the technology shouldn't you know for sure how it works?

Quick Reply: Question for Audi225TTQC re REVO...