TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for LarryTT : wiring of the Kenwood Mask

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for LarryTT : wiring of the Kenwood Mask

Just wanted to know what is the blue and white wire of the main unit for : the user's manual (not clear at all) indicates to cut it off on VW-Audi cars (what I did).
Is it to control a power retractable antenna ?
I had to connect yellow and red wires of the main unit together and to the red wire of the car. I did not use the yellow wire of the car.
Otherwise the main unit wasn't working.
Now the "Mask" works great but am I correct with my wiring ?
I didn't want it to start by itself when I start the engine but manually and it's actually how it works now.
Thanks<p>Franck
Brilliant Black ext. / Grey int.
225Q Roadster - All Mods - ESP
Grenoble - FRANCE
Old 05-17-2000, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It is the power antenna lead. Why didn't you use the yellow wire?(MORE)

The unit will start manually with the yellow wire hooked up. That is your battery lead. All you settings will get erased(clock setting, bass, treble, favorite stations etc.) when you turn off the car. You also won't be able to turn on the stereo without the key in the power position or the on postion.

Red is constant power, yellow is battery(for playing with car off and remembering clock, station settings etc. All you have to do is turn the unit off when you turn off the car and it won't flip back around until you have press the hidden button on the back of the mask unit. If you turn the car off with the unit playing it will flip around itself, and the next time you turn the car on it will flip around to the on mode. I think you might want to change the red/yellow combo to seaperate wires. Don't worry about the blue/white, we don't have a power antenna. =)

I hope this helps. I don't know how much Larry can answer because he didn't install it himself.<p>-Jenner
'00 TTqX Garrett Stage II, Borla, H&R Sport Springs, Stable Energies Shoulder Harness Bar, Deist 6 point Race Harnesses, LLTEK rear light covers, LLTEK floor mats, Valentine 1, Custom stereo, 3M tint, etc.</a>
Old 05-17-2000, 05:30 AM

Default Thank you very much but (more)

I tried yellow with yellow and red with red, yellow with red and red with yellow, yellow and red on yellow and at last yellow and red on red.
The last combo was the only one that worked in fact, to my surprise since it was not described in the manual !!! Maybe there is a mistake in the car wiring or is it different in Europe, I don't know.
I have to check what you said concerning the memories but I think they work and I don't need to turn the car on : it works with the car off, so I think the red is permanent power and yellow only when you turn the car on.The problem is it was not working with the yellow with the car off or on !!!
How did you wire yours ? (reds and yellows)
Thanks for the info concerning the blue/white, it's what I thought it was.
I'm tired, I finished at 2 am
Thanks again<p>Franck
Grenoble - FRANCE
Old 05-17-2000, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thank you very much but (more)

I haven't wired a new headunit my TT YET. But have put just about everything else in, and I have installed many headunits in other cars in the past. That includes a Kenwood eXcelon mask headunit in my 1990 Jeep. The Jeep did have a power antenna and I used the blue/white for that.

My kenwood headunit had a red wire(constant power) and a yellow wire with a black box on it(battery/switched power). The headunit I had was a 1998 model KDC909(now the 2000's are out; the KDCX915) and this I put red to red and yellow to yellow. I can understand how red/yellow together works, but I don't understand why yellow-yellow and red-red doesn't work. Again it could have something to do with the BOSE setup.

If your not having any problems, I would leave it as is, but if you are, you might want to try calling 1-888-955-6000. Ask for crutchfield tech support. Tell them a friend of yours bought the unit for you and you have a couple of wiring questions.<p>-Jenner
'00 TTqX Garrett Stage II, Borla, H&R Sport Springs, Stable Energies Shoulder Harness Bar, Deist 6 point Race Harnesses, LLTEK rear light covers, LLTEK floor mats, Valentine 1, Custom stereo, 3M tint, etc.</a>
Old 05-17-2000, 05:55 AM

You should use a volt meter to check out the wires in question. ;-}
Old 05-17-2000, 05:57 AM

Default Thanks again. If everything still works tonight I won't touch anything and get some sleep !!! (more)

But you're right this wiring mess could have something to do with Bose set up.
I had the Bose on my A8 and turning off the car used to switch off the stereo. But it was possible to switch on the stereo again without turning the car on again.Might be an explanation what do you think ?<p>Franck
Grenoble - FRANCE
Old 05-17-2000, 06:03 AM

Hey Jenner, you should add "urban jukebox on wheels" to your sig. 8-]
Old 05-17-2000, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What does the '8' mean at the end of your message? I see it all the time now.
Old 05-17-2000, 07:42 AM
Ego

Default Re: What does the '8' mean at the end of your message? I see it all the time now.

(sorry to speak for someone else) that's a smiley face (emoticon), and the 8 is usually meant to make it look like glasses/sunglasses, however, it could also be used as just eyes as well.<p>
Chris Lawrence
chris@nrsys.org
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera
1985.5 Porsche 944
2001 TTQC 225 Brilliant Black/Aviator Grey, all options (ordered May 1st, 2000)
Old 05-17-2000, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Does this help? See my post 5/7 for pin outs on Audi end

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/tt/msgs/63403.phtml">pin outs Concert and Concert/Bose</a></li></ul>