TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-1999, 02:10 PM
Bill Ray

Default Questions

This is a great forum -- thanks to everyone who has posted here for all the information.<p>I'm 99% sure that I'm going to purchase a new TT (the only other alternatives would be the BMW z-class or maybe, if the practical in me wins out a BMW 323Ci). Anyway, I've got a couple of questions regarding the TT and Audi.<p>1. Three of my last 4 cars have been Toyota Celicas (with a Miata thrown in for variety). These cars were *extremely* reliable and durable, arrived completely free of defects and gave no maintenance problems. Am I likely to have a similar experience with Audi?<p>2. I infer that the lag time between ordering and delivery is quite long -- can anyone provide an rough estimate? <p>3. What kind of deposit are dealers generally asking at order time? I can't afford to PAY for the car until February or so, but could afford a deposit now.<p>4. Finally I'd be grateful for advice on disposing of my '97 Celica. It's in good condition although it has high mileage (57K). Should I trade it in on the new TT or on the used Jeep Cherokee I plan to purchase at the same time?<p>Thanks again for all the comments! This is a VERY useful and informative forum, and the posters all are very polite and civil -- most unusual in this medium. Maybe the beauty of the TT carries over to our interpersonal skills?<p>Bill<br>
Old 08-05-1999, 03:20 PM
STTeve Rabi

Default One opinion re: your looooooonnnnnnngg posting... ;-)

Last thing first: Go back and read all the archived stuff when you get a chance. I have a file with nearly 100 postings that are relevant to ME and my interests/concerns, etc. As for polite and civil, well...sometimes. I think we're "all learning to get along."<br>Now, the answers (my opinions):<br>1. No, the Audi will not be as reliable...I have owned three from 1980 to the present. All were quirky...but Audi provides superior warranty coverage...even fixed my car three days after warranty expired or it would have cost me $1K out-of-pocket. I have three Jap built cars (Mazda and Honda) and never had a single warranty repair...just wear and tear items. Feel blessed.<br>2. None of us have 'crystal *****' but you can either go to your local dealer or seek out a dealer somewhere. I travelled 1388 miles to get my TT or I would be waiting to June 2000.<br>3. Expect to drop a minimum $1K deposit. I suggest a credit card. Easier to get your money back if you have second, third, or more thoughts.<br>4. Don't trade the car (period). The TT will cost you (hopefully) only MSRP. The dealer will find a way to screw you out of several hundred dollars on a trade for the Jeep...been there/done that (years ago). Clean it up really good and check with several local sources. Then, put an ad in the paper. I sell my vehicles that way and always get top $.<br>Good luck...sorry I rambled on and on...others know I do that.
Old 08-05-1999, 05:35 PM
VictorV

Default Re: One opinion re: your looooooonnnnnnngg posting... ;-)

I've had four Audi's dating from 1982 to the TT that we just bought. Three of the four were as good as or better in the reliability department than the Honda Accord that we drove from 1986 to 1998 (and it was a fine car). The only real problem we ever had with an Audi was our 1985 4000. It had a transmission seal break. The dealer put in a new transmission quickly and it never gave us any more problems.<br>By the way, I wouldn't say that a dealer would "find a way to screw you out of several hundred dollars on a trade for the Jeep". Dealers are in business to make a profit. That's how they exist. I can't fault them for that. They will basically give you wholesale and sell it for retail. I always sell my old cars by advertising in the paper. Some people don't have the time or inclination and would rather sacrifice a few hundred bucks for the convenience of the dealer taking the car on trade.
Old 08-05-1999, 09:47 PM
Rik

Default Answers

I owned A Celica & Corolla Prior to the Beetle & TT.<br>After one day of these cars, You will understand that I will NEVER bbuy another "reliable" and RUST-prone Japanese car. The Galvanized steel was enough to sell me. But they drive so much better than the Japs. My Toyotas each had 3 defects.<br>The Beeltle NONE. THe TT - Passenger window switch needs replacement. That's it.<br>Rik<p>
Old 08-05-1999, 09:52 PM
George Webster

Default Oh my God! can I respond to this!! very, very long

Hi Bill,<br>Your situation so parrallels my experience I hope my input is of some value to you.<br>I already own a Y2K BMW Z3 2.3 - great fun car - near enough thoroghuly impractical - my wife loves it, it is her daily commute, it replaced a 2 year old 1.9 Z3 which in turn replaced a 10 year old Toyota Celica Convertible( my wife just has to have rag tops!)<br>After taking early April delivery on the 2.3 Z3 and having my Audi A4(1.8, Quattro, Sports) coming off lease in Nov I really, really wanted to get a second Z3, never had any problems with the 1.9 and just loved the extra performance of the 2.3, BUT & this is a bigge, reality sets in and youv'e got to figure - how do you transport anything, of any size - ie: the Z3 has NO carring capacity short of a weeks groceries for two - although we do manage to travel for two weeks at a time quite comfortably.<br>Like you I was seriously considering either another A4, waiting for the S4 or a Y2K BMW 323CI, but being a Audi convert, my A4 was probably one of the best cars I've ever owned I also took the time to look at the TT, oh! I'm so glad I did, less price than a similarly equipped 323Ci and soo much more of a car.<br>My TT has 1600 miles on it, had one minor defect at delivery which can be fixed at first service( I won't be without it for a day unless I reaaly have to) so I'll wait until then. <br>In general, I have to say that Japanese quality cars( in my experience - I've had a '87 Maxima SE for 5 years, absolutely zero problems, followed by a Mazda Millenia for 3 years, again zero problems but one of the world's most boring cars(ie: no character) then the A4, yes, - some problems - all of them taken care of, dealer provided loaners etc - but lots of character & fun to drive more than made up for the temporary inconvenience)<br>2) My lead time from order to delivery on the TT was 5 weeks - if I'd waited for the sole Milwaukee dealer to get me a car, I'd be waiting till sometime into 2000 - the bastards even sold their only demo = they could not even demo a car, even though I've bought 2 Z3's and an A4 from them. Look for the highest rated(Audi's Customer Satisfaction Index) dealer in your region(mine was in Aurora Illonois - about 90 miles from me) the higher the dealer's rating, the more allocations of rare(ie: TT's , S4's etc they will get) this also means that you will likely end up with a better buying/delivery experience IMHO)<p>3)I offered a $500 deposit and that was accepted.<br>4) it all depends on how much you value your time selling a car privately is a right royal pain in the *** , dealing with God only knows who might shiw up, you've always got to be there, take them on test drives etc.etc, You have one great thing going for you - its a Toyota Celica and a reasonable dealer is going to give you top $$$ just to get his hands on it.<p>Lots of luck. just hang in there and get this car, you will never be sorry. If you are going to do the deal in Feb 2000, my strongest advice is to get the Quattro version. my only complaint on the FWD 180 is humongous torque steer, if you live anywhere near snow/ice this will not be fun in winter.
Old 08-06-1999, 04:41 AM
bsm

Default Japanese v. Audi reliability

I have had three straight Mazda cars (88 RX7, 94 RX7 and 95 Millenia [wife]) and a Volvo 99 V70 Wagon (wife). My Mazda's were all very reliable, but each had very annoying rattles that I was unable to ever get fixed. I have 3 friends with A4's and all have found them very reliable. Moreover, they are as tight (no rattles) as the day they bought them. I guess I am taking more of a reliability risk getting the TT, but I just can't help myself. Have others found Audis to be less reliable than the Jap cars?
Old 08-06-1999, 06:05 AM
VictorV

Default Re: Japanese v. Audi reliability

My 1995 Audi S6 with 63,000 miles is as tight as the day we bought it. Runs like new. Never any maintenance problems.
Old 08-06-1999, 06:19 AM
Marc Sachs

Default Re: Audi vs Japanese reliability

I have had several Japanese cars (Lexus SC 300, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4, RX-7's etc). I have had an A4 and an Audi 80 Quattro. Both my Audi's had far more problems than the Japanese Cars. My A4 has had both front ball joints replaced, many radio/speaker problems, sunroof problems etc. However the warrantee is great so I guess that's why I am waiting for my 180TTQ
Old 08-06-1999, 07:20 AM
Eric Heilers(USA)

Default Audi Customer Satisfaction index

Where do you find these indexes?
Old 08-06-1999, 09:08 AM
Steve Valin

Default Re: Japanese v. Audi reliability

I bought my '93 100CSQ sedan 3.5 years ago with 68K miles on it. It now has 141K. Other than oil changes and a timing belt change, I've had to replace a power steering hose and fuel line (within a few months after I bought it), and the fuel pump a couple of months ago. I also replaced both O2 sensors since they were original. It's still very tight and handles very well, despite the fact the the struts in front should be replaced.<p>My '88 90Q has had no problems since I bought it two years ago, but looking at the service records, all the stuff that goes wrong had been replaced by the time I got the car. <p>My '99 A6 Avant has been with us for 8 months with 0 defects.<p>But then again, I have good car karma. I commuted to work in an '84 FIAT X1/9 for 7 years and put 170K miles on it with no problems!<p>-steve<br>

Quick Reply: Questions