TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Questions: CHIP to increase horsepower in TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions: CHIP to increase horsepower in TT

I have a brand new 2002 audi tt quattro 225 and have seen many of you have put new chips in your cars to increase horspower...

I just have a few questions:
1. Will audi still warranty the car if a chip is installed?
2. How much horsepower is actually gained?
3. Which ones are the best out there? Where can I get them?
4. Are they easy to install?

Thanks for all your help!
mike
Old 04-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Elder Member

Default answers . . .

1. The warranty is all dependent on many factors. The dealer, service writer, mechanic, Audi Rep in your region.

Was there damage done to the car? What sort of damage. Basically if the turbo blows, yes they can blame the chip . . . buy a SPARE ECU!

2. The hp gain depends on the car. The 180 will increase to around 205-210 depending on the chip tuner. The 225 will increase to 245-255 depending on the chip tuner. If you add an exhaust expect a bigger increase, plus get a chip that takes advantage of a better flowing exhaust. Same if you add a larger Intercooler.

3. Which ones are the best? No such thing really. The top 4 are: Abt, APR, Garrett(GIAC) and MTM, in alphabetical order!

Where can you get them? The only one that sells direct is APR, the rest are through distributors:

<a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com</a>Stratmosphere for Abt</a>
<a href="http://www.goapr.com">APR</a>
<a href="http://www.giacusa.com">Garrett</a> check the dealer nearest you.
<a href="http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com">Hoppen Motorsport for MTM</a>

4. Easy to install? You need to send your ECU to the tuner, or go to a dealer. They will desolder your stock chip and solder in a new performance chip in its place. Then reintstall the ECU.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:48 AM

Default Re: answers . . .

Hi, thanks for the info!

If I buy a new ECU, then I can just unplug it and put it in myself, right?

Is it really worth the money for such a small gain in horsepower? The new ecus I think are $495...

thx
mike
Old 04-07-2002, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Speaking of HP I thought I saw a post on a aftermarket

BOV that held boost to 20 PSI. Seems to me that this BOV would be as good as a chip. I think it cost about $325.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:50 AM
Elder Member

Default not exactly . . .

A BOV cannot produce boost. It can only lose boost. A stock 225 can only put for example around 14-16psi at peak. Adding in that $325 BOV will not change anything. Adding a Chip to the equation will increase that 14-16 psi figure to the 22-24psi range.

What a better engineered DV/BOV will do is hold the boost peak for a longer period of time and then when it begins to lose boost, it will do it much slower than a poorly engineered DV/BOV.

Make sense?
Old 04-07-2002, 07:53 AM
Elder Member

Default Yes . . .

If you purchase a spare ECU with a chip in it, then you can just swap out the ECU's. Make sure you mark which is the CHIPPED ECU, not the stock one!

If you have a TT with the immobilizer then you will have to have your ECU cloned, this means your ECU needs to be in the hands of the chip tuner.

Ask Kim if she feels the money is well spent. Her "friend" just got a chip yesterday . . .

I think a chip is WELL worth the money.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:56 AM

Re: Yes
Old 04-07-2002, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Yes . . .

Hi,

Can I still run the car without the cpu (incase I have to send it in for cloning)? Somehow I think I have the immobizer in my car. How would I know? I just got the car!

It is an audi tt quattro 225 coupe, 2002.

thx
caringserv
Old 04-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Elder Member

Default Ok . . .

No, the ECU is the brains of the system. ECU = Engine Control Unit. It is the engine management software, just like the CPU in your computer.

Since you havea 2002 you SHOULD have the immobilizer. I don't know if chips are out for the 2002 TT's yet. When you first start your car, do you see a 'key' light up on the dash? I think in yellow? That is the immobilizer making sure everything is kosher.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:28 AM

Default Yes it does have immobilizer

Hi,
I just looked at my dash and the manual. I got the immobilizer on my car. The manual saids it is used to scan my key to make sure it isn't a fake key. I guess it does more than that!

I guess I will have to wait until the 2002 chips come out and buy the entire ecu unit.

thx
mike

Quick Reply: Questions: CHIP to increase horsepower in TT