TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Quote from Behr Germany about OE and Aftermarket thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quote from Behr Germany about OE and Aftermarket thermostats

I received this email today via a Behr Hella rep here in the States. This email confirms that the Behr aftermarket and OE tstats are the exact same part:

Hi Andree,

the VW/Audi part no. 050 121 113 C does have an opening temperature of 87°C.
Our part no is the 1.180.87.302 (which we deliver to VW/AUDI) does also have an opening temperature of 87°C, so it`s absolutely the same part.
For the IAM we can also offer this part with an opening temperature 80°C , the part no would be 1.180.80.302, but we never offered this part with an higher opening temperature than 87°C.

I hope this helps you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

i.A. Tobias Scheible
Produkt Management / Product Management
Service

Behr Thermot-tronik GmbH
Enzstr. 25 - 35, 70806 Kornwestheim / Germany
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

ShamWow! the Germans make good stuff...Thanks for clearing this up Andree
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Rest In Peace

Default thanks for that info, it is helpful>>>

but would it be possible to ask why there would be a variance in running temperatures on the cars if the parts are identical? The variance is around 10-12 deg Fahrenheit between the OE tstats and the Behr unit based on what i have seen.

Thank you again for pursuing the answer.....it is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Default When someone repeats the experiment with 2 brand new tstats...

And all conditions are controlled for then I'll believe there is an actual difference.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
Default FWIW I have your kit shipped in Oct 2007 installed in my 225

I believe I got the Behr. It was just before these reports started being posted. I did see the temp run one mark high at idle for the first few days, but it normalized and ever since has stayed steady at the center mark. I wonder if all of us have had a trapped bubble that caused this. Regardless, I have run 30 minute track sessions when it was close to 100F without problems after installing the new kit.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I understand your statement, but the scenario you >>>

depict is not an easy effort.

I will be changing my thermostat out in a few months from the recently installed Behr aftermarket to the OE Behr...prior to that installation i will run VAG logs and attempt to create that scenario, as that will likely be the closest possible example.

I want to be wrong on this...but i am merely stating what I have "seen" and read.

Again, thank you for looking into this and your continued support of the VAG community...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Default Cool. Are you logging coolant temp via signal to ECU or climate control?

has anyone verified these readings are from the same sensor? I would think it best to look at coolant temps in the engine via Vagcom.

I have a 1.8T transverse car but like you, I don't have a whole lotta extra time to swap tstats and my car weighs 2600 anyway so I don't know how valid that test would be.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Rest In Peace

Default i have done both in the past>>>

VAG will obviously give us an opportunity to look at the raw data and record it which is key....

I currently monitor the temps in my car via the HVAC and Scangauge which is an OBD aware device that pulls the data from the ECU. When i have compared those numbers, they are within 1 C at any time (the variances seem to be the time it takes to report the data, so more than likely they are from different sources).
I have however compared VAG to the HVAC and seen almost identical data that Scangauge reports.

I will try to capture data in the next couple of days via VAG and log it. As the current Behr aftermarket t-stat is a mere 2 weeks old, and the cooling system is clear of air pockets (as best as you can tell on those things) to try and get a baseline...

Prior to the swap i will do later, i will log via VAG again to compare for a time difference to insure there are no radical differences...

Then i will replace the t-stat....and repeat the process and see where it goes...

For the record, beyond scangauge, block 49c reports a 8 deg C delta on average from prior to the timing belt job. At one point on Friday, after a 15-20 mile drive (on the highway at normal speeds), i returned home to see Scangauge report 207 deg Fahrenheit at idle in my driveway...This was on a 24 deg F day...normally it would not be more than 198 deg F prior to the service...

All coolant is new...and the system is full...

I am more aware of specific temps than most as my cluster temperature gauge is broken...so i always use Scangauge and the HVAC controls to keep an eye on engine temps....

Look forward to clearing this up....
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM

I will donate a new, unopened OE tsat for the test if you like.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Rest In Peace

i will take you up on that...and totally appreciate the gesture..

Quick Reply: Quote from Behr Germany about OE and Aftermarket thermostats