TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rattle Cured!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle Cured!!

Ok since I can remeber I have had this annoying little rattle from beneath the car as I shifted up and down through the gears, I had a suspision that it might be the throw out bearing going bad or something...naturally the Audi Techs couldnt hear it.So I was feeling mighty industrtious on sunday and decided to do a rattle check beneath the car, (with some heavy techno playing) in doing this I discovered the source of the rattle was the aluminum heat sheilds around the exhaust system.The star washers that attach these peices had become loose and allowed the sheilds to reveberate with the exhaust. Heres the fix...using a flathead screwdriver pust the washers as far as they will go.Then press the retaining tabs tight onto the washers. After this I then applied some automotive RTV sealant on all the washers.Bingo rattle now eliminated.
Marcus
Old 03-13-2001, 05:08 PM
Elder Member

COuld this be the rattle I hear at idle? Or only when moving does it appear?
Old 03-13-2001, 05:15 PM

Default Re: COuld this be the rattle I hear at idle? Or only when moving does it appear?

Possible Ivan...afterall it only takes five mins to tighten those clips up anyway..can't hurt Right?