TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rattle sound on deceleration - (?????)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 12:24 AM
Paul - (UK)

Default Rattle sound on deceleration - (?????)

I remeber reading somthing a while ago on this. Can anyone help ?

Its just started, when I accelerate to about 4-5k rpm and let off to change gear I get a rattle noise. Nothing major, a bit like a waste gate sound but not so sexy...

Any ideas ?

and finnaly how much are Audi going to charge for the retro fit ESP, (in UK £'s for a dummy) -

Thanks for any replies !
Old 02-22-2000, 12:32 AM
Victor F

I have heard that Audi UK are undecided on whether or not to charge. I know which we'd all prefer!
Old 02-22-2000, 12:34 AM
Victor F

Default Is it a very quiet like chain reeling in type sound that last for a second??..

If so I believe it is the ABS re-setting itself or so I have heard. I used to get it on my old A3 as well on the first change of gear after starting the car
Old 02-22-2000, 12:40 AM
Paul - (UK)

Default Re: Is it a very quiet like chain reeling in type sound that last for a second??..

Thats it, but do you know why would it start after 6000miles ?

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-22-2000, 12:41 AM
AL B

Default Is that what it is? I always wondered...

Hi,

I drive an A3 1.8T, and I have always wondered what that rattle sound was after the first gear change on starting the car!

Is it definitely the ABS re-setting itself?

Thanks,

Alan. (UK)
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-22-2000, 01:24 AM
Victor F

Default That puts a new spin on it. Maybe it isn't related to the ABS at all....

..however when I used to own an MGF I had a louder rasping type sound on the first gear change when the clutch was depressed (free-wheeling) in between the gear change and after that it disappeared but I believe it had something to do with the the clutch when it was cold but I never had the car long enough to find out what it was. It was more a quirk on cold starts than an annoyance. Unless it gets worse or you pop by your dealer I'd leave it until your 1st service
Old 02-22-2000, 02:41 AM
Victor F

That's what I heard from my dealer at the time
Old 02-22-2000, 02:52 AM
TomF

Default I think I may have this on my A4 1.8T...

It's a metallic raspy type sound that comes in between shifts at about 3500 rpm for me. It only happens in the warmer months for me and then goes away in colder weather (below 50F or so). Dealer hasn't been able to diagnose it to date.
Old 02-22-2000, 03:20 AM
AL B

Thanks Victor
Old 02-22-2000, 05:10 AM
franck

might be a "loose" chicane in the exhaust

Quick Reply: Rattle sound on deceleration - (?????)