TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Received Letter Today From Audi Re: ESP & Week 18 Delay (text enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 01:56 PM
John P.

Default Received Letter Today From Audi Re: ESP & Week 18 Delay (text enclosed)

Hello-

I emailed Audi AG (Audi Germany) a few weeks back, upon learning of the proposed week 18 implementation delay of ESP (brought to our attention by Brad Willis). Today I received the following letter:

February 14, 2000

My Name
My Address

Dear Mr. P.

Thank you for your January 29, 2000, letter sent to Audi AG. They have reviewed your correspondence and have forwarded it to me for response.

The Electronic Stability Program for our TT models has a tentative start of production date of week 18 of this year. Please be aware that production plans may be subject to change, therefore, arrival of this equipment could be delayed.

Again, thank you for writing and also for your interest in our exciting TT model.

Sincerely,

(signature)
Michael DeCraene
Audi Client Relations

It doesn't sound good to me. What a disappointment. I guess it's time to contact the dealer and give my #2 225 to someone else. I'm going to wait until I get an ESP-equipped car. By the tone of this letter, however, we could be waiting for quite some time. Ridiculous.

Audi USA & Len Hunt--if you're reading this, this is a poor way to do business. The U.S. is the largest export market for Audi. Doesn't this allow you some bargaining power?

Again I ask "what other 'luxury' automakers pull this b.s.?" I'm not impressed.

By the way, Brad, you were right!

-John P.
Old 02-18-2000, 03:11 PM
Marius

Until week 18, whenever a US TT comes through the ESP section on the production line: take 5, guys!
Old 02-18-2000, 04:55 PM
John P.

Default Ha! Since Audi promised ESP on all 2001 TTs, wouldn't it make sense for them to . . .

1. deliver it without ESP (as the letter indicates), and
2. offer 2001 customers a credit of sorts, so that all we'd have to pay is the difference between our ESP-less 2001 M.S.R.P. and that of an ESP'd 2001 TT (in the event we opt for ESP later)?

That way, everyone's happy (and I wouldn't feel jaded).

-John P.
Old 02-18-2000, 05:54 PM
STTeve R

Default You had an idiot respond to you--I KNOW (more)

Your customer relations guy Michael D. is a grunt in Audi's "client relations" and needs directions tattooed to his forehead just to make it to work, IMHO.
You want the right answers, ask Len Hunt. He can B.S. like the best of 'em. Actually, I really think your information from them is wildly incorrect. Take heart!
Old 02-18-2000, 07:07 PM
Brad Willis

Default I agree with Steve. The same guy treated me like sh..(more)

When the numerous, well-documented problems occurred to my TT, I wrote Len Hunt a letter. It was intercepted by DeCreane, who sent me a useless, very short reply essentially telling me to pound sand. At least the note was a polite go "f" yourself.

Several months later, I spoke with two seperate Audi employees about an unrelated subject. Both of them felt that Mr. Hunt never saw the letter, and they asked me to re-send it. I sent the letter to each respective employee's attention, as per their request.

When many weeks went by, and I hadn't heard anything back, I called Audi and asked for one of the employees who had asked for the letter. Instead, the call was intercepted my Mike De Creane, who I felt was very rude. He acted like I was a ridiculous idiot, suggested that the transmission woes were my fault, and stated that Audi wasn't going to do anything for me.

So Steve, I shared your experience with the same guy. The treatment that he offered was really uncool, and left a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 02-18-2000, 08:34 PM
evan

Default what I learned today about WEEK 18 and ESP... (oh no, not more you say...))

My dealer, Ernst Gosch at Diablo Audi in NorCal, called me today to give me an update on my 225 Coupe. I've made it to #5 on the list (oh boy!) and he expects my car to go into production in May. He had just spoken to someone at Audi who echoed the week 18 ESP thing we have all heard so much about. Ernst is a no BS guy, so if he's wrong, its most likely due to bad info from Audi, not him.

He said that if my car was to be produced earlier for some reason, he would gladly wait to order me an ESP car, if I so desired. I'm glad I went with him-- no wonder he is one of Audi's top 10 salespeople in the US!

The wait is getting harder...
Old 02-18-2000, 09:12 PM
John P.

Default Perhaps there is a way to reach Mr. Hunt personally . . .

by sending a letter marked "Personal & Confidential. To be opened only by addressee."

Hmmmmmm?
Old 02-19-2000, 08:35 AM
Steve S.

Ernst is the best
Old 02-19-2000, 09:33 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Until week 18, whenever a US TT comes through the ESP section on the production line: take 5, gu

Let's put it this way Marius, I have an internal memo which states rather plainly that ESP production begins during production week 18 for U.S. models. This info is now being officially confirmed by Audi of America and individual dealers. So while anything is possible, there is certainly a sound basis on which to base the belief that this information is accurate.
Old 02-20-2000, 06:46 AM
Marius

Sure, Brad, I'm just trying to picture the procedure at the factory.

Quick Reply: Received Letter Today From Audi Re: ESP & Week 18 Delay (text enclosed)