TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Redline Transmission Fluid Update (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 03:50 AM
Ryecatcher

Default Redline Transmission Fluid Update (long)

Hello all,
As you may recall, after experiencing the grinding into 2-nd problem, I decided to replace my tranny fluid with Redline MT-90. Both the lousy Audi dealer here and AoA said that replacing the tranny fluid with anything other than Audi-brand fluid may cause "warranty issues". I contacted Redline, who said that the MT-90 meets all of Audi's specs and Audi can't force you to use one brand of oil over another. Fair enough. This, plus the fact that Audi will never know about this change, convinced me to go ahead and do it.
I found a good mechanic specializing in German cars who was eager to change the fluid (for all of $20). Let me tell you, the underside of this car is gorgeous. The wires and various hydraulic lines etc. are aranged in neat precision. The belly engine cover is held on by something like 16 bolts (the mechanic said that BMW uses 4 bolts for the same type of application). The old fluid came out, the new one went in. I kept a jar of the old fluid. It looks like dirty pond water. It is very watery, with not nearly the apparent viscosity of the Redline (or any other lubricant I've ever seen). It was also very black (pieces of my 2nd gear synchro??). I asked the mechanic about this, but he seemed to think the fluid was normal for a synthetic. Nevertheless, I am having it tested by a professional lab just to satisfy my curiosity (and yours, hopefully). I will post the results when I get them.
Well, how does it drive, you ask? Better, though it still cannot match my beloved 92 Honda Civic Si's precision (no flames, please. Honda makes better gearboxes than anyone on the planet. Audi makes better cars, IMO). I have only ground the gears once, and that time it could have been my fault. The shifting feels more "lubricated" for lack of a better word. It is a little heavier until the car warms up, though it snicks into the gears with seemingly more precision, and less of that metal-to-metal sound. When driving aggresively (read: hot), the shifting is improved. Overall, it doesn't feel like I'm going to destroy my gearbox now. It feels more like my Miata's (high praise) than before, though I fear we will always have to be deliberate in our shifts, specially the 1-2. I'd be interested in hearing other tranny fluid changes that you all have done. Well, I've rattled on long enough. I'll keep you posted on the stock fluid analysis.
Ryecatcher