TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

REPOST: Driving School in Kilgore, TX -- July 27 and 28, 2002 (Sat and Sun)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REPOST: Driving School in Kilgore, TX -- July 27 and 28, 2002 (Sat and Sun)

For those of you who may have missed it the first time I posted it, here's the driving school we're putting on. If you're interested, the link below will take you to our online registration page. The course name is PRACTICAL DRIVER IMPROVEMENT, the dates are July 27 -28, and the instructor is Michael Ferguson. Just leave the 'agency' and such blank. You won't need to pay until you show up for the class.

Driving school proposition...
User account number (aid): 20097
Posted by Ferg on 2002-05-16 23:00:57

edit delete
As most of you know, I teach for a police academy in northeast Texas. One of the topics I teach is police emergency driver improvement, affectionately known as PEDI.

The interesting thing about the Audi Quattro Challenge program is that the things they teach are very, very similar to what we teach in our PEDI courses. IMHO, the only real down side of the Audi Quattro Challenge was that there were too many people there and not enough time to drive. Keeping that in mind, I started wondering if my boss would allow me to host a driver improvement school for my amigos on the TT forum. In short - he said yes, provided that enough people came to the class to cover the expenses of teaching it.

The school would be 16 hours long, held on a Saturday and a Sunday, and would be held at the East Texas Police Academy driving range just south of Kilgore, Texas. The tuition, which would be paid to the academy to cover materials and instructional costs, would be $35 per participant. The class would have no more than 30 students...which means that each person would be allowed to drive more. Spouses and/or friends are allowed to come and video, photo, etc., if they want. The basic setup I was thinking about was this:

SATURDAY AM:
-register, get oriented
-inspect cars for safety
-short amount of classroom instruction
-serpentine ("slalom") course
-lunch on your own from 11:30 - 1:00

SATURDAY PM:
-evasive lane change
-perception / reaction course

SUNDAY AM:
-precision manuevering course
-precision backing course
-lunch on your own from 11:30 - 1:00

SUNDAY PM:
-short classroom presentation
-highway course
-evaluation, finish up

At the end of the course, each person who successfully completes the course would receive an East Texas Police Academy certificate for their wall, a letter stating that the person had completed the class (some insurance companies have, in the past, accepted this much the same as a DDC certificate and have given a 10% discount on the liability portion of your insurance...but this is totally up to the insurance company), and a MUCH better understanding of how to safely, effectively handle a car.

So, my question is this: how many of you would be interested? I hope you are interested; I think you would have a really good time and learn a great deal.

Thanks!
Ferg<ul><li><a href="http://www.kilgore.cc.tx.us/etpa/registrationform.htm">click here to go to the ETPA registration page</a></li></ul>
Old 06-26-2002, 12:15 PM

Can't wait Ferg!
Old 06-26-2002, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Who all is registered so far?
Old 06-26-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Dustin -- there are 12 signed up so far, not counting me. I'm hoping that the re-post will generate

some more entries. We can do the class for sure with what we've got now, but I think it would be kind of neat to have about 20 or so!

Y'all are going to have SO much fun...

:-)