TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Road@Tracks road test has a 201hp Boxster 0-100mph 16.9sec and a 225hpTTR 0-100mph.,................

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cause the Porsche Boxster is "IN"...there's one on every corner...

...and Porsche is riding a huge cash and media wave. When Porsche could hardly sell a car in the early 90's and they were in serious trouble, cutting dealers, streamlining and hiring Japanese consultants, they weren't getting such kind reviews.

The changes that ensued and the very good Boxster with historic overtones in its design and a truer Porsche "for the masses" than the ill-fated VW derived 914, is largely responsible for Porsche's economic recovery. Every car enthusiast wants Porsche to succeed and remain an individual entity. A legend once, a legend again. To be critical of the Boxster is to be critical of the company, the legend, and possibly adversely affect their economic good fortune.

The fact is Porsche is putting out some FINE Performing, and high visibility automobiles now.

Only Porsche it seems can hurt their own fortunes by jumping Johnny come lately on the SUV bandwagen with a 90K vehicle in a depressed economy, with untold millions in development, with a Cayenne design that is less than inspiring. To offset those costs they are even talking about using that V-8 in their automobiles...a FRONT engine one at that. Even though the 928 in its final derivations was an excellent car , it never caught on.

IMHO, I see the cycle repeating. Time will tell.

Sorry...Audi (and the TT) will alway be in the media and most of the general masses, a less curvaceous, less exotic or hot date. We however who's main squeeze it is and ride them know the truth.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:28 AM

Default i truly believe the boxster is the car to have for b-stock (solo2). the s2000 wins trophies...

but that's just because a couple of fast drivers bought them and won with them. so now there are tons of them competing. the cost of entry to the boxster is far higher, which is why there are fewer of them at national level events.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:38 AM

Default how exactly is it getting a raw deal?

I think the magazines tend to be pretty reasonable in their comparisons - something along the lines of "Boxster for track, TT for road".
Certainly the TT wasn't designed to be a killer on the track... I haven't felt the TT is getting a "raw deal" in the reviews, but maybe if you can refer to a specific story...?

The TTR suffers a bit due to the soft suspension setup - the stock TTC is firmer and may fare better in that regard. One drawback on some of the magazine tests is that many tested the 180 coupe, and later, the 225 roadster, so they never tested out the 225 coupe. But even if the Boxster does better on the track, you may find the TT to be nicer on a long haul as a GT car. The Boxster is lighter (and the "S" is more powerful) than the TT 225, so it's not surprising if it gets to certain speeds a little quicker. Feel is one thing, numbers are another.

To me, it seems like each car has its own good points; the magazines tend to point them out. I've seen criticisms and praise about each car. But I'd certainly be happy to have one of each.