TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

roof ski rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof ski rack

Anybody know of a decent roof rack for snowboards for TT? Snow season is coming up and I want to look at purchasing one in the near future.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Audi Rack is awesome!
Old 10-11-2001, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default But How easy is the audi rack to take off...

Remember that if you lock yourself into buying the audi rack, the load bar shape may be different from industry standard...
ie. Yakima has cylindrical load bars and Thule
has rectangular load bars.
I chose Thule because of structual integrity and also my kayak attachment wouldn't swivel around the load bar when i would want to put it up....anyway, back to you...
audi may not have the best attacments in the world. if you buy an audi rack, you might be locking yourself into only being able to buy attachments from audi. if they suck, then your screwed. i've heard complaints about the bike carrier already. who knows what the ski/snoboard carrier is like...coming from owning a thule rack for the past 7 years, they rock, warranty is good and they are just solid and reliable. i've NEVER had a problem with them at ALL. i highly suggest getting one like that just because of the versatility of it. all of the components that you can get for it work and work well. bike attachments are solid. my snowboard/ski carrier is solid and my kayak stacker is solid. lots of solidness...(i hope my biased -ness worked...)
Actually right now, I'm sellin my thule rack (from my old car) because I just bought my TT. Well, I'm going for the "Specialty TT Rack" from Thule, as you've guessed it.
As a bonus, the racks just pop on and off. You can literally have it on your car within minutes.
Off in seconds....Hope this helps...
Old 10-11-2001, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default PS...Audi wants $400 just for the BASE LOAD BARS...

Not worth it if you ask me...
Old 10-11-2001, 11:45 AM
Elder Member

Default I understand if you have to budget as the Audi parts are expensive but...

have you seen the Thule rack on a TT?!? It's hideous.

Also, lots of people here and nobody has publicly complained about the bike rack options that I am aware of. I use one and I'm happy with it.

Please let us know how you like the Thule rack after purchase.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:47 AM

Default Unfortunately, worth it. It's the only rack that uses the factory mounting spots.

It takes about 10 minutes, tops, to get the thing on.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:29 PM

Default Audi rack remarks

we have the Audi base rack on our coupe, looks & works great, after the first time,
it goes on & off very quickly & easily. costs a lot but looks like it was made for the car (well, it was, wasn't it... :-) if I recall, it is made by Thule, but distributed only through Audi.
I have no complaints about the bike rack attachment (full bike version, not the fork mount), it is very solid, no wobbling, nice & secure.
we just got the ski rack attachment for it, haven't used it yet (no snow 'round here yet), but it looks like it should work well.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm definately going to get the rack straight from Thule...

$400 is 1. way overpriced for a roof rack (and that's just the base load bars!!!), and 2. a gimmick to suck more money out of the TT owners. Sure it has the "looks", but it all depends on what you want and what you think it is worth.
As far as how the rack "looks" on the car, that's up to the eye of the beholder. I, myself, will like the look of the Thule rack. Pop my ferring onto it and whammo! Ready to stack the kayaks and hit the river...
Just my $.02...
Old 10-12-2001, 09:23 AM

Default you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but ...

the TT is *all* about looks! :-)
if all you want is the performance, you can get that a lot cheaper, too.
so, to me, seems like getting matching accessories is tres important!
what's a little $$ in such a good cause as this!? (just kidding :-)
Old 10-12-2001, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All about looks but also all about individuality

Dude wants a thule, dude gets a thule.

Me, I love the Audi rack. I would like to find a faring for it though.

Quick Reply: roof ski rack