TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rough week

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough week

Last Saturday, I nailed an underwater log and took out a prop shaft and rudder on my 3 week old boat with 35 hours on it. Tuesday, the wife rear ended someone while in the 540. Today, the TT began emitting a light colored smoke out from the front wheel wells and began running real rough. No check engine light and luckily I was close to home. Limped home and parked it.

Any ideas???
Old 05-19-2001, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Call Dealer? 8-) Sorry couldn't resist that one.

I've not seen a comment from anyone with that type of symptom on here before.

Things smoking usually stick in my memory.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:48 AM

Default Take the boat and TT to the dealer, and get rid of the wife. Only kidding - sorry to hear

you are having such a miserable week. Hopefully soon, they will all be just bad memories.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:14 AM
Elder Member

Default No idea on the smoke from the front of the TT beside wild speculation.

The good news is these things always happen in threes, so you're done!
Old 05-20-2001, 05:47 AM

Default What lake were you on?

I have a few boat stories... good thing the classic wasn't me. :-)

1) My father forgot to replace the mooring chain after 8 years. The brand new (less than 1 month old) Sport Nautique broke free one calm night and floated into the rocky shore. Had to repair the prop, realign the shaft and fix all the edges on the hull that had hit the rocks (and there were lots).

2) A friend still hasn't told his wife. He had just purchased a Malibu Echelon back in 93 or so. He hadn't even put it in the water yet. He had it in his garage and was drilling the hull as you are supposed to to install a depth gauge 'puck.' Well, next thing he knew he was looking at the cement floor through his boat's hull! Ooops! Yup, he drilled a little too deep.

I just share these stories with the hope to cheer you up. Your accident wasn't stupidity, while both of these definitely were. I remember ask my father how long chains would last under water. He said 6-8 years. Our new boat was much heavier than our old boat too. :-)

I hope you get it fixed soon (and without too much hassle). Make sure the repair shop trues the shaft to manufacturer's specifications. This is very important.
Old 05-20-2001, 07:58 AM

Default Re: What lake were you on?

I was at the lower lake at Sardis in Northern Mississippi. We mainly go there and Pickwick due to two lake houses.

About thirty minutes before I hit the log, these hells angel guys dropped a 2X6 (we think) right through the driver's side glass and bent the frame.

I had pulled into a bay of my friend's two story boat dock. These three huge 6'8" and all at least 250 dudes decked out like hells angels (Harleys and all) were working on the upper level of my friend's dock. We were just going to grab a quick bite to eat. My friend told them not to do any work until we got back. When we got back, there was glass everywhere. When I asked them why they could not be more careful, they told me I had a bad attitude!

I offered the workers at my boat shop a $ 1,000 to get me my boat by next weekend. We should have our new slider ready to launch over memorial day weekend and I would hate to spend four days at the lake without my new boat. Our group still has a Natui, Wakesetter and two jet skies for the slider and fun box. So at least I can still get on the water.

Do you still have the 93 Nauti. One of my friends has 93 or 94 Sport Natique with a Titan Tower, built-in ballast systems, and a $ 5,000 stereo system. Cool boat with a very nice wake.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:13 AM

Default We have a 2000 Sport Nautique... it is a great boat!

It has a pretty decent wakeboard wake. Not perfect, but good enough. I'm really a slalom skier but I really want to get a wake-to-wake 360. I'm getting close! And still only a couple nasty falls along the way!

The boat we had before this one was a 91 American Skier Legend. We got it from the midwest boat rep. Was the one used in all their brochures (useless fact). It had a great wake without any tanks due to the fact that it was designed to be a decent slalom boat and a great trick boat.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:47 PM

Default Re: We have a 2000 Sport Nautique... it is a great boat!

Wake to wake 360 is sweet move. Love Natiques. I was torn between the X-Star and Super Air. No local Natique dealer so went with MC.

The 2000 Sport does have a different hull than the mid 90s. The mid 90s will throw an absolutely huge wake. Have not spent anytime behind the new Sport.

If ever in Memphis, look up Doug Hanson and I will give you a pull.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:53 PM

Default Same to you!

Come to NC and I'll give you a pull (if the boat is in NC). If the boat is in ME, you'll have to come to ME. :-)

Also, come to NC and book some time at Coble Ski School (www.cobleskischool.com). That's my ski school of choice. :-) They even have an X-Star for you!