TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Selling Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Dilemna

Finally got a decent offer on my TT. Buyer wants to take it to their mechanic. No problem, except the seller lives 120 miles away (one way). They are willing to buy the car with a buy-back stipulation if something turns up within a set period of time (say three days). I have a loan on the car so I can't really pay it off until after the three days or that opens up more worms. I would also be without a car for that much longer. I don't think anything will turn up but you never know. I would consider doing it if I could figure out how to work it so that minor issues wouldn't be causes for the buyer to return it (I am afraid of excuses for buyers remorse). The other issue is that not only am I out a car for a few days if they decide to return, but I am also looking at getting the car back with a minimum of 300 miles more put on it. The other alternative is to have a deposit and then wait for the sale until after the inspection, but that also leaves me with 300 miles being put on the car. Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why can't they come to you to check it out?

I know it's 121 miles and then back, but if the buyer wants the car so bad then make 'em work for it or come to a compromise and meet somewhere in the middle. Just my two cents. -Doug
Old 09-08-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Have the potential buyer post a non-refundable deposit

if they don't buy the car that covers your traveling expenses and wear/tear on the car, unless their mechanic finds a serious problem. Of course, you could argue over what serious is, but anything requiring a couple $100 repair is serious in my mind.

That might work...
Old 09-08-2003, 06:31 PM

Default I wouldn't suggest getting the buy-back option. Tell him to spend a weekend at a hotel near your..

place and test it around while you are in it.
If he is really serious maybe you can share his hotel costs a little and he can call it a vacation.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Why can't they come to you to check it out?

They are willing to come to me to get the car, but want their mechanic in CT to look at it so either way I am out a car for a day at least, probably more as to get the car back to me in a day would mean two trips for them and 500 miles of driving (that's just silly) and I'm going to have a couple of hundred extra miles on it if they decide not to buy for some reason. I'm going to see if they will let me take it to pep boys (they do used vehicle inspections) or the Audi dealer that is 5 minutes from me but I don't know if it will fly with them. They brought this up after negotiating down to my best price, so realistically I am not planning on spending anything to fix it. I don't think that it needs anything but you never know. Ideally I would be happy to take it to someplace local myself, or second choice sell the car with a 72 hr return policy but I have no idea how to write it up so that I don't get the car returned for something stupid.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:41 PM

Default If he wants to return it....

Treat it like a rental. $.50 per mile, or $X per day or a restocking fee.....
Old 09-08-2003, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What if the mechanic checks out the car and screws something up...

because he is inexperienced or not qualified to check out the car???

Sounds too risky to me.

How about recommended third party inspection company to do the check up of the vehicle?
Like this one <A HREF="http://www.inspectionsolution.com">Inspection solution</A>

They used to be lemonbusters.com. I have used their services to buy vehicles from EBay.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default buying from private party

Buying from private party should always be As-Is. Why don't you drive there, make sure their mechanic is OK with the car, and get the money right there. I mean, they can mess up the car in 3 days and tell you they don't want it. I don't even get a car for 3 days with return clause if I go to a dealer...... just some thoughts....
Old 09-09-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Do not sell the car to this buyer.

The deal already has failure written into it. I have never heard of a return clause in a private sale. Furthermore, why can't they take it to the audi dealership and have you pay for the inspection.

I say run away from this buyer. Whenever something smells fishy it probably is. Who knows, this person probably does this all the time and gets to drive new cars for three days.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

as is is as is.

Quick Reply: Selling Dilemna