TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

simple question: what is the best wash routine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple question: what is the best wash routine?

greetings,

i have a 2001 ttr. i have been washing him one every couple weeks. well, i have been taking him to a self-service place and just rinsing him down (using a cotton towel to lightly remove the persistent crud).

but now with all the stuff on the road and the very slushy conditions we had last week, this rinsing didn't really work and there's still a film of crud on the car.

so, i gotta break down and wash it properly. what is the best strategy? what products are best for the outside? what about the inside?

i know this has to have been discussed before, so i apologize in advance for launching a duplicate thread.

Mark H.
Old 02-16-2001, 05:37 AM
Elder Member

Default Here's mine

1. fill 5 gallon bucket with warm sudsy water. Using Zaino car wash for TT.

2. Use platex or insulated rubber gloves to protect hands from cold.

3. Apply wheel cleaner.

4. Rinse car thoroughly including wheel wells and under body. Save wheels for last so cleaner gets a chance to soak in.

5. Using soft cotten towel or mit, washcar from the top down with copious amounts of sudsy water. You can't use enough suds. Save the wheels and wells for last. Do the car in sections and rinse with tons of water after each section.

6. Wash the wheels and wheel wells with something other than the mit you use for the rest of the car. I use a paint stirrer stick and a soft towel with lots of suds to reach between the wheel spoks and wash the inside of the wheels.

7. Thoroughly rinse the entire car.

8. Use a California Water Blade to remove the bulk of the water from the car.

9. Use a P21S synthetic drying towel to dry the remaining water. This is what I use on my soft top as well.

10. Use a soft cotten towel to dry the door sills, under the hood, inside the trunk lid, etc.

11. Throw all of the rags & towels in the wash & dry for next use. Never reuse rags without a wash.

12. After it dries for a while I'll usually apply a coat of glaze which takes all of 15 minutes.

That's it. The key is to use lots of suds & clean water. Things to absolutely NOT do:

1. Rinse the car without washing it with suds and wiping it with any kind of a rag or towel. Scratch city. This includes spray-only car washes because they never get all of the dirt off.

2. Wash the wheels with the same rag you use to wash the car, even if you do them last.

3. Use really harsh wheel cleaners that will react with the clear-coat on the wheels.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you wash the top?

I just washed our TTR for the first time. I just rinsed the top, wasn't all that dirty.

I didn't use the california blade to dry the car. It was in our truck (cold). Wasn't sure how pliable it was at 30 degrees.

Also, we have a small stain on the top, from a bird. Got 94% of it off. Didn't want to be too agressive and damage the top material. Any tips on removing 100% of bird do-do from the top?

Thanks
Paul
Old 02-16-2001, 06:04 AM

Ok... what do you listen to for tunes while washing???
Old 02-16-2001, 06:05 AM
Elder Member

Default I would use Porshe's Tequipment cabriolet top shampoo to really wash the top

like you, I typically just rinse the top and then dry it. If there's anything substantial on it, I'll shampoo it.

BTW, the silicone blade on the CWB is naturally pliable down to very cold temperatures in my experience.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:06 AM
Elder Member

Default You're going to be very disapointed....no tunes...that'd be a distraction from the zen that is

...washing my car
Old 02-16-2001, 06:19 AM

I wait for rain! ;-)
Old 02-16-2001, 06:22 AM
Elder Member

Default Hopefully you get lots of sudsy rain in the sticks of Wisconsin...

...followed by a hail of California Water Blades
Old 02-16-2001, 06:25 AM

Nope! But at least it is relatively free of acid
Old 02-16-2001, 06:27 AM

Mother's cabriolet shampoo is very good as well. (But I usually just rinse mine.)

Quick Reply: simple question: what is the best wash routine?