TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Small note on chipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 09:26 AM
Ted

Default Fer' get it! Just feeling fiesty...And, don't like being on the track alone...

always want lunch when I'm out there. Hey, where in the hell were you when I was asking for comments on the APR chip? Its not like I'm a new guy! Truth is, I will no doubt have a couple of ECU's b/4 this experience has run its course. Meanwhile, I like what Steve at APR has done...a lot. Very quick car. G-Tech to follow when weather permits. You got one too, what are your numbers, audio boy?
Old 02-18-2000, 09:41 AM
Audio Boy(a.k.a Jenner)

ok "fiesty boy"! Actually I don't have G-tech, its MNE that has one, ask him for the #'s
Old 02-18-2000, 09:49 AM
Ted

OK. But, don't go away mad.
Old 02-18-2000, 11:10 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: how about the tranny? (if anyone doesn't want to hear it, DON"T READ THIS)

As many here know, I believe that the TT's FWD tranny is unsuitable for it's intended purpose. Either there is an inherent defect in the transmission itself, or because the transmission was designed for "lesser" VWs and is not up to handling the TT's greater output.

Audi builds many of their cars on a platform, where some components are shared with other Audi and VW products. This is generally very smart from a business standpoint, as it can save them a lot of money. Audi made a business decision that this Volkswagen transmission would be suitable for the TT. I believe that they made the wrong decision. Audi also made a decision that the TT didn't need a spoiler, and that turned out to be questionable as well.

Remember that the FWD is a VW transmission, and has a huge VW stamped on its case (same as in the Golf, I believe). Conversely, the Quattro is a beefed up tranny made especially for this car.

The problem that is exhibited is a periodic grinding of the 2nd gear syncros. This usually occurs after the car has been driven for an extended time and/or it is hot outside. Much of the U.S. is cool right now, so that's why I don't think that you are hearing too many gripes. You should hear more around summer, when things warm up. I believe that I have 60 unique documented cases of this 2nd gear grinding problem, and that's 60 of our TT internet friends, not 60 out of 40,000. The problem is virtually identical with all who have experienced it.

So this is a long way of saying that the TT's FWD transmission bites, in my view. I strongly advise against its purchase, until Audi figures things out. I personally wouldn't chip it, as it may be overburdened from the outset. I can't speak for the rest of the engine's components, but the Quattro transmission is virtually identical to the 225's less the 6th gear, and it was designed to handle a higher output. In other words, the Quattro's transmission should handle the chips that are regularly discussed here without any problems.
Old 02-18-2000, 11:31 AM
mne

Default The truth as I see it is theres no problem with the load-bearing internals of this transmission, but

there IS a 2nd gear synchro problem in many FWD TT's. They synchro anomaly many of us have experienced is not aggravated by or manifested as a result of torque or power being put to the transmission. Its there pre-chipped and its there on slow, carefully executed shift technique. Power has little to do with a synchro grind. Synchros alone must take the brunt of that phenomenon. A faulty, ill-fitting or incompatible metal-to-metal contact is what makes synchros grind out loud. Regardless of power put to them. Its only once a gear is fully engaged and the engine creating torque that power comes into play. Not when we're off the gas, clutch pedal in and changing gears. And theres zero wear on a synchro ANY other time.

There IS a problem with these transmissions. I have it too. Have had since day one. But it is most-assuredly NOT one related to stress or too much power/torque. Its a little circular metal piece thats the culprit behind this. Otherwise if it were stress-related or a result of power, those of us that are chipped would have certainly ostensibly worsened or grenaded a tranny by now. Instead we only suffer the same notchiness/grindiness that we did from day one. And its not even getting any worse in my case. But its certainly not improving either. Synchros are NOT torque sensitive. Moreover they have zero knowledge of how much torque an engine is capable of becuase they are relatively unaffected by it. They simply make moving from one gear to another smoother and less prone to grind in an ideal, properly working transmission.
Old 02-18-2000, 12:27 PM
Brad Willis

Default mne, what's one to do?...

As you know, my TT has had 3 seperate transmissions, 2 major surgeries, 3 different tranny oils, and over 70 days in the shop, yet the problem is still there. 2 times, the problem did worsten to the point where it exhibited the grinding on every shift.

I like my car a lot, but clearly this grinding is unacceptable. I can return the car to Audi under the Lemon Law, but I really don't feel that my car is a lemon in the sense that I got a bad luck car, but rather that there is a problem with most or all of the FWD transmissions. It sounds as if you agree with this. Unfortunately, Audi apparently does not acknowledge any defect at this time.

What do you think that I, you, or others experiencing these problems should do? Is this something that you can live with, because it bothers the hell out of me?
Old 02-18-2000, 12:45 PM
mne

Default truthfully Brad I dont think there's much any of us can do.

The one "definate maybe" we have going for us is that this is a planned event on Audis part and that at some point in time the synchros grind themselves into a more user-friendly shape or somehow conform thru grind to a less audible state. I think thats really reaching for an answer tho and not very damn likely. I've grown to caring about it less lately as there is a 225 in my not-too-distant future. When the FWD goes, so goes the FWD 2nd gear synchro. Till that time I live with it. Dont like it mind you but at this age am choosing my fights wisely. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it or get angry about it any more. I've seen how you were treated. I'm just gonna let it go. Its not my cross to bear.
Old 02-18-2000, 01:03 PM
julie

Default tranny is vw/audi (long)

From other folks on this forum I have learned that the TT FWD tranny
is in a zillion golfs including the VR6 models, Turbo beetles, etc

Clearly these folks have been beefing up the power for many of
these cars; interesting discussion about synchros vs actual
strength of gears and other bits...

Not that it is the right answer, but is there an aftermarket
tuner solution that otherwise would have been thought of
in the context of track use? Tougher bits due to track abuse
kind of thing?

Curious...
Old 02-18-2000, 01:11 PM
julie

Default oh

And the funny thing is the 1.8t forum (on vwvortex) has a fair amount
of traffic concerning chipped beetles but I've yet to hear (read) a
complaint about the tranny. And just this week a friend of mine
got a new Turbo bug which I have driven twice and though certainly
a more notchy shift then my trusty A4 fwd doesn't crunch or grind
and yes I realize my A4 tranny is not then same as the bug,
is 90 degrees rotated and further is not cable operated etc
Old 02-18-2000, 04:44 PM
Brad Willis

Default Clearly there is some problem here...

Hard to say what it is, but I would bet my pinky on it. Until they get it fixed, I have to strongly recommend that TT purchasers avoid the FWD. I've had 5-6 failures of the 2nd gear syncro. This isn't just bad luck.

Like Mance, one day I will unfortunately be out of my FWD, and the issue will be someone else's problem, but in the meantime perhaps I can spare some of you the frustration that I have endured for the past 6-8 months.

Quick Reply: Small note on chipping