TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Snow in Northern VA - great time to enjoy the Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow in Northern VA - great time to enjoy the Quattro

Driving in Tysons Corner area I had to avoid many stuck uphill cars... I love the look on the faces of all the 'cool' drivers in their German RWD cars (most with summer tires) trying to get traction but instead slowing sliding sideways and hitting the curbs...

And every now and then another Quattro will slalom around them I can feel the pride.

Another good one is seeing a huge soccer-mom "SUV" with a Camry or an Accord engine and no 4x4 gasping for traction.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

None in Richmond yet :-(
Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just hope you have snow tires.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Snow tires?! I always drove FWD with all seasons!

Snow tires are like golf handicaps.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Rest In Peace

Default and golf handicaps are there so you can play with>>>

the pro's and to play difficult courses on equal footing....

You can get by on all seasons, but snows change the TT vastly...If you spend any significant time in the snow, it is HIGHLY recommended you snow tires. Interestingly enough, you also compromise performance with all seasons in the summer in most cases versus a really good summer performance tire...If you travel in Europe at all, most if not all Europeans have 2 sets of tires...and for good reason.

Lastly, you would be surprised on how good snow tires are these days as you do not lose a whole lot of performance with todays technology.

FWIW
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default im still on my summers,

are snow tires much superior to all seasons. im debating which one to get because the dc area doesnt get tooo much snow.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM

Default my first winter with the TT I drove with summers,

I had Toyos and it snowed only once or twice. Summers in snow are useless(you probably have figured that out).

The all-seasons I have now are decent and based on reviews were suppose to be one of the best for dry traction but still they are a lot worse than good summers.

I personally will be changing to a set of summers and a set of winters(or cheap all seasons). I miss the traction of the summers... and in DC 10 months of the year is basically dry or light rain.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default im debating what to do,

perhaps pick up some cheap all seasons on some extra rims.

where do you live in the dc area, i commute from gainesville, va to bethesda md...

how come i never feel like im driving an awd car..
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: im debating what to do,

having an extra set of winters/all seasons with rims is a good idea, this way you still are having fun most of the year with summers.

I am in McLean, VA. Yesterday I drove around Falls Church and definitely was feeling the advantages of the AWD. I was literally seeing people driving RWD or FWD with summer times and non-manual trannys getting stuck left and right.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default when does the quattro work, when the car is slipping or the light shows up on the dash

i havent had this car for a winter yet, still getting used to it. i figure the more i can learn the better. i have been putting off changing the haldex filter and oil, i should do that or have it done soon.

Quick Reply: Snow in Northern VA - great time to enjoy the Quattro