TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Snow Wheel/Tire Questions... again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Wheel/Tire Questions... again...

Hello all-

I'm in for a real treat this winter... recently moving from sunny SoCal to Boston (I live in the city)... but, I have driven a LOT in the snow, just in mountains...anyway...

I have a 180 TTQ that luckily has an underground parking spot, but will need to get driven to work when I'm not travelling... and I need tire/wheel advice, especially after reading the horror stories about the stock tires in winter.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Tires (205/55/16):
Pirelli Winter 210's
Dunlop Wintersports M2s

Wheels (16x7.5):
Borbet Type B
MM Spyders

Any comments/experiences? I heard boston winters are mostly slushy hard packed snow, so I'm thinking the Blizzaks aren't the best solution...

Thanks for the advice!
Chris
Old 10-15-2000, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Snow Wheel/Tire Questions... again...

Um....horror stories? I'm about to move to Minnisota. Are the stock tires really that baad in snow? Will I have a rough time if I don't get snow tires?

I reeeeeealy don't want to swap tires every year. Are there any all-season tires that are a good match with my TT coupe?
Old 10-15-2000, 01:06 PM

Moving to Minnesota, winter tires are MUST! Check with Tire Rack, NOW!
Old 10-15-2000, 01:14 PM
Ego

Default My viewpoint

I've had problems with the stock 040's even in the rain, so I couldn't imagine how they were going to tackle chicago winters. I had the same dilema as you, not wanting to swap every year.

So, I put all my chips in one basket, and gambled on the Pirelli P7000 supersport ALL SEASON. It is imperative to pick the all season, and not just the 'supersports'. At any rate, so far, I've noticed a DRASTIC improvement in the rain, and judging from others that I've spoken to who have used these tires in snow, they are a great buy. They also handle just fine on dry pavement, and I haven't noticed any performance loss. They're quieter than the 040's as well.

So, once we get our first snow, I'll post my impressions in the snow of course, but so far, they've been really good in the rain.
Old 10-15-2000, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All seasons are a mistake, IMHO

Why go for a lousy all-season when the tires are your most important safety equipment on the car?

I found the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 to be the best for winter as most urban areas are cleared w/in a few days after a storm and you still want some performance characteristics. Mounted them on Borbet C's.

TT Tom
Old 10-15-2000, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i have the michelin pilot alpins and am very happy with them
Old 10-15-2000, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends on where you live...

I put Pirelli P7000 SuperSport all-seasons on my TT because I live in Colorado, and our weather is variable, to say the least. Snow in the mountains can and should be expected any time of the year, and I really don't want to have to leave my snows on from October - May each year.

To be frank, I haven't yet found the Pirellis to be lacking in any way compared to my 040s and probably wont at anything even resembling legal highway speeds...
Old 10-15-2000, 06:16 PM

Re: All seasons are a mistake, IMHO - Where do you live?
Old 10-16-2000, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran Blizzaks for 2 years, on 2 diff. cars in Minnesota - worked great
Old 10-16-2000, 04:46 AM

Default Used the Dunlop Wintersport M2s on the 17" wheels in Chicago last winter.

I had no problems in the snow at all. Since probably about 90% of urban winter driving is on dry pavement, they also handle well off of the snow. Blizzaks are the best on the snow but are too soft for dry pavement.

-Brent

Quick Reply: Snow Wheel/Tire Questions... again...