TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

So how goes the Winter Driving in your TT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how goes the Winter Driving in your TT?

I am debating buying a TT as it would most likely be my one and only car. One of my concerns is driving it in the winter---up to the ski hill and back.

How does the TT handle the snow?? Any problems with its low clearance?? Feel safe?
Old 01-30-2002, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only light snow in Seattle ...>>>>

So nothing to report other than that it's more fun with stabilty control turned off and the turbo spooled up.
Oh, and...I made it to work on time, and my boss was late because his M5 never got out of the drive.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most fun car I have ever driven on the snow.... TT rules winter

Quattro, equipped with good snow tires will drive circles around most any other car on the road. I am lucky to live where there is snow for at least half the year... almost feel like parking the TT when summer comes. Certainly don't hesitate because of a concern about winter driving.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:16 AM

Get some dedicated snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2's here) and you will have no problems.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1) Get Quattro; 2) Get snows; 3) Don't get stupid; 4) Enjoy!

The TT is great in snow.

Quattro is the (IMHO) only way to go, and one of the best reasons to get a TT. The FrontTrak folks may differ--heed their words.

The snows are an absolute must, whether you intend to play in the snow or not. The stock tires get nasty around 40 degrees--they get cold, hard and lose traction.

The need to know limits is absolute, whether in the dry, wet or snow. Put the snows on and find an empty parking lot to determine the limits for braking, adhesion and steering. (Donuts are the likely result, but hey, you gotta have some fun, right?

Then do the driving -- if the road-going idiots around you allow. Generally, you're going to be more careful about banging up your $40K baby than the schmucks in the 4WD "SUVs" (Stupid Useless Vehicles). I've seen way too many drivers park their Exploders/Pukons/etc. in a manner invalidating their warranty because they think they're invincible; in reality, they're way overconfident and don't know their limits. Finally, there are the realities of winter travel: If the highway patrol dudes say stay home, stay home!

Beyond that, the TT is an absolute snowcat. 7 years of driving (and 15+ riding) in Minn. are my credentials for this: the TT is a monster in the white stuff. Low CG, heavy, AWD, ESP and good torque (with the revs up, of course) make it punch through snow. FWIW. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2002, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Without snows - kinda scary; with snows - Better than my Landcruiser!

Granted my Landcruiser is an '83 with 200K miles, and yes I'm sure the Cruiser would be better if the snow was a foot or more deep.

But... the TT just feels more stable at all times. I actually look forward to driving it in the snow because it's so fun. Besides, the Cruiser doesn't have those toasty bun warmers and it takes forever to warm up. The TT is a cozy leather wrapped fun bundle by comparison.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:02 AM

how much do a set of snows cost?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: how much do a set of snows cost?

Go to www.tirerack.com There you can figure out steel or aluminum rims with snow tires or just the tires.