TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

so my mechanic received my blueflame exhaust today and i have a problem>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so my mechanic received my blueflame exhaust today and i have a problem>>

my mechanic looked at the exhaust and said that he cannot do it-i have to go to some other shop! there is a rhino linings here in town, but i've never been there before and the guy already told me that he's going to do it his way and if i'm going to bother him in-between the installation, he's not going to do it!
how difficult is the installation if i do it myself? what are the tools that i'm going to need? i've looked at the fotki album of blackfftruck and the pics there are useful, but i still want to know if there's a better place for write-ups and pics(have already looked at marTT and TTinWV)! TIA!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do it yourself, it's not hard at all >>

And find a new mechanic, if he can't install an exhaust on a tt quattro then he is pretty useless and I would never trust him to do a major job.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If he can't do this simple job - get a new one - since he probably can't change spark plugs either..

this is a VERY simple job which can be done with a crescent wrench and tin snips - seriously. You unbolt the old exhaust - two bolts on the clamp. Remove. Secure front piece of the Blueflame with the same two bolts but not tighten. Then bolt the rear piece on - measure where you need to trim the heat shield - trim heat shield. Bolt rear section of Blue Flame to front section and secure to the existing rubber exhaust hangers. Adjust and tighten all four bolts.....
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think this guy has a future in Pizza Delivery...>>

From everything you've said about him, I'd cut him loose and NEVER return. This is a VERY simple install.

1) unbolt the stock system (clamp at the cat)
2) trim a small piece of the heat shield
3) install the new system
4) align tips..<ul><li><a href="http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/exhaust_installs/forge!/">Some more pics..</a></li></ul>
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks to both joe and scenic driver...question for you guys>>

how do i get access to the underbody? i mean, what kind of jacks do i need and where can i get those?
AudiWorld Super User

Default not real mechanics panic..only problem is getting up in there...tight without a lift

even the cutting of the heat shield is a breeze with the right tool.
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow, do it yourself

it's not hard. you'll need a metric set of ratchets, some sheet metal shears to trim the heat shield, and some screw drivers/picks to get the old rubber hangars off and back on.

back the car up on ramp and climb under.

take some time when aligning tips, you might need to bend the hangars a little to accomplish the perfect look you prefer. a pipe helps to bend them.

this is one of the easier mods. put a neauspeed rear sway bar on while you're in there. another easy mod.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it on ramps....Just back the car up on them
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sorry steve, my bad...this is a different guy! he is a mechanic in town>>

not the champagne motors audi technician! i just wanted to save myself a trip and the associated gas expenses!!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A regular jack and jack stands is all you need

No special tools required, I did mine in a parking lot.

Quick Reply: so my mechanic received my blueflame exhaust today and i have a problem>>