TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Some Advice Please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 09:53 AM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advice Please...

I seem to have really bad luck with body shops. My TT was involved in a second accident about a month ago. Again, it was parked and the other driver's insurance company is paying for the damage.

This time I took my TT to a body shop right across the street from my workplace because the shop my dealer used was horrible (I had to send my car back twice). They did a pretty good job in general. Unfortunately, they made the same mistake the other shop did. When repainting the side of the car above the window, they "masked off" the molding. The end result is that the clear coat does reach down to the top window molding in some places and has begun to chip away, especially in the front and in the corners. I'm worried about further chipping. I showed it to the guy who ran the shop and he told me it looked like his son did a poor job masking it. He then went and got his son and reprimanded him. So he knows better know - that doesnt fix my car. I told him that the appropriate way to paint it was to remove the molding first, and he said that sounded like a lot of work (ugh). He told me that if it began to chip (which it likely will) to bring it back and they would repaint it. That would be an overnight job at least and I would have to rent a car again etc. I've had problems with insurance companys paying for rental cars and it doesn't seem like he is willing to paint it again now.

I'm tempted just to get someone else to do it, but I'm not sure how much it'll cost and whether they will do a better job. I'm happy to have my car back, but I want it repaired right. Am I being too picky about this? I feel like I am being taken advantage off. It also seems near impossible to find an autobody shop that cares anywhere near as much as how a car looks as we do.