TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Some awful news....I was broad-sided tonight....(more)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some awful news....I was broad-sided tonight....(more)

I need the sympathy of my friends here. On the way home from work, I was broad-sided on the driver's side by a jerk who ran a stop sign and came barreling through 5 lanes of traffic before slamming into me and my dear Fritz. I ended up turned around 180 degrees, up in someone's front yard. The REALLY good news is that I *think* I'm OK...at least I declined to go to the hospital. I'm pretty badly bruised from the impact of the side airbag and from the shoulder belt, but it's pretty incredible that I got out of the TT in one piece. The guy who hit me is in the hospital with what *hopefully* is only a minor head injury. His insurance card, for his 1998 Toyota Celica, had expired, but he claims he *has* renewed his policy. We'll see tomorrow...as we both have State Farm. Needless to say he was ticketed for the accident and fined for lack of a valid insurance card (and his inspection had expired...and thank goodness a pizza delivery guy (who was nearly hit as well) stopped and provided the full story to the police.

The awful news, though, is the state of my baby. The entire driver's door was pushed in...so far, in fact, that it wouldn't open....and my skirt was jammed between the door and the seat so badly that the firemen nearly thought they were going to have to cut me out. I had to crawl over the gearbox and exit on the passenger side. The entire dash has been pushed over so badly that the radio cover wouldn't close and the glovebox door had to be pried open (to get my registration & insurance info). There are stress buckles on the edge of the hood and near the hatchback lid, and it appears that the rear axel may be broken. The right rear wheel was virtually dangling.

Obviously, I don't know yet whether he'll be "totalled". But I'm just heartbroken...and am only consoled by the fact that people (bystanders, fireman & the police) were absolutely AMAZED how well the car held up to the terrible impact! I'm VERY lucky to have not been hurt.

Let me tell you, folks...our TT's are VERY VERY well built!

Just needed to cry on your shoulders tonight. I'll keep everyone posted what happens next. Send good thoughts, please...

Janet
'00 180QC
Old 06-21-2000, 08:07 PM

Default I am so sad to hear about your accident...

My prayers are with you and your baby. Thank God that you are OK..But please if you feel anything weird tomorrow, please go to the doctor. I was broad sided in my 87 Audi coupe, 1 month old!! and I surely did feel it the next day. In fact, even today I can still feel my neck pinch a little. Bruises and pains will come in the next few days. Just don't disregard them.

God bless you and take care.

Maria Coronado
Old 06-21-2000, 08:09 PM

Default I am so sorry to hear the news

I know how much you love your TT & hope it will be repaired soon.Hope you heal up quickly. My thoughts are with you tonight.
Old 06-21-2000, 08:11 PM

Default Janet, my heart goes out to you. . .

Good to know that you were well enough to "walk" away from something like that. Bad to hear that Fritz was injured.

Please keep us posted.

Hope U soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes,
David
Old 06-21-2000, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Some awful news....I was broad-sided tonight....(more)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Our thoughts and prayers are out to you. You musr see your doctor tomorrow for a thorough exam. You need a baseline so you can tell if your injuries are deteriorating. You need to be in shape so you can drive Fritz when he is repaired.

Keep us posted when you can,

dan
Old 06-21-2000, 08:15 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am so glad you are seemingly okay, don't hesitate to go the hospital

if you feel the least bit weird. Can't believe this has happened to you and Fritz. So sorry, don't know what to day. Send me an email if you want to commiserate. Have you phoned John, yet?<p>
Old 06-21-2000, 08:20 PM
Leo

I am so sorry for the accident, but I am glad that you are okay...
Old 06-21-2000, 08:22 PM

The only thing that REALLY matters, is that you are OK! Yeaaaa Side Airbags!!!
Old 06-21-2000, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Janet...my e-mail says it all, and I am thankful you weren't hurt...

and I hope Fritz will be mended soon. God bless you!
Old 06-21-2000, 08:25 PM
TP

Default Very sorry, Janet. Please have a doctor check you out. Very sorry.

<p>TP
225 TT Quattro Roadster (silver/black/black)

Quick Reply: Some awful news....I was broad-sided tonight....(more)