TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Sometimes feels like drivetrain is "locked up" when making sharp turns . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes feels like drivetrain is "locked up" when making sharp turns . . .

like U turns or even backing and turning out of my driveway. If I am backing up and put in the clutch, it is as if someone pulled on the emergency brake. The car stops suddenly. This has also happened several times making U turns. There is more than enough room, but the car just won't turn and I end up making a three point turn.

This is an intermittent problem. I drove 2 hours to the dealer and it wouldn't do it. He checked and changed the Haldex fluid and said it looked fine. He thinks it may be the ESP and told me to turn it off when I am backing out of my driveway to see if the car still does it. Does that make sense? Have any others had the ESP "lock up" the drive train when making slow, sharp turns?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Re: AWD binding . .

I have felt that too but very rarely. I too noticed it when reversing out of a parking spot and turning. It feels exactly like a 4wd without center differential. I would assume that the difference in turn radius from front to rear in a sharp turn "fools" the Haldex into locking as it "thinks" the front wheels are spinning as they are rotating faster than the rears due to the wider radius of their path. Strictly a guess on my part based on the way the Haldex controler senses wheel slippage then locks the center diff. In my case it only occurs for a brief instant then goes away. I would expect that it is normal in certain conditions.

J. Patterson
2001 225 QC
Old 10-05-2004, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the 'ESP' light flash at all?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good question. I haven't looked. Does the triangle light on the dash always flash . . .

when ESP engages?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My car does it fairly often, sometimes every day for a week, then . . .

nothing for a week or two.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 PM

Default it will flash when you trip it...

I trip it sometimes when turning and pulling out into traffic. when there is excessive wheel spin and the esp can't keep up it will flash and you will probably feel the it cut the throttle a little. At least that's what mine does.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not sure if its related, but my car has been making a clunk noize every time I transition from

forward motion to reverse (or other way) and turn at the same time. The car also feels a little wabbly. Dealer looked at it, changed the driveshaft, fixed the shock tower/bushing and torqued the subframe. was a little better, but now its back to the same condition as before the fix. I'll get them to look at it again.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A4 platform quirk...happens to all A4 cars at some point.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:55 AM

Default Could be Haldex related..

Most Haldex problems are low torque as opposed to failure to release. But the controller's mechanicals could cause this too.

It is not your ESP, though.

Try this-on level ground, turn your car at maximum turn/minimum radius, as slow as it will go-on the "anti stall", if you will. Disengage the clutch, and let the car coast to a stop. Note the distance.

Now do the same thing, only this time when you disengage the clutch, rev the engine to 3000-4000 RPM. The car should roll to a stop in half the distance.

Quick Reply: Sometimes feels like drivetrain is "locked up" when making sharp turns . . .