TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Speaking of speeding tickets (thanks Glen and Bill)... does anyone in Maryland have experience......

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 07:11 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of speeding tickets (thanks Glen and Bill)... does anyone in Maryland have experience......

with pleading "guilty with an explanation"?

C'mon, I've never done this before... what can I expect, what kind of court costs if any are involved... I appreciate any insight. My "85 in a 55" doom-day is a week away now. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry you got caught Nancy. Did you have the detector on? The reason I ask

is that I tend to slow down for awhile when I hear someone else got a ticket. And also, like most people, when I see an accident .I was speeding last night & when I don't get caught I get a false sense of security.This car just feels too good around 90-100mph.So scare me a little I need it!
Old 10-19-2002, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not all judges do this (last time I was in court this was not offered)

basically what you are saying with guilty with explanation is that you <b>were</b> speeding (you are not contesting the facts..i.e. the radar must have been wrong etc) but that you were keeping with traffic, you had to pee (I know this could be possible with you =-P) you were late for an interview, you were speading up to pass someone, you were merging over etc etc....
This is admitting you were speeding but that there were extenuating (sp?) circumstances and you offer yourself at the mercy of the court.

If you have not has a ticket in a long time...make sure that the judge takes note (they usually will ask anyway.

Hope that helps

p.s. Although, I did not have the choice of guilty with explanation at my last court date a few months ago..I was able to plead my side of the case, and it worked...I had to pay court costs ($25 I think) and a reduced fine.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Elder Member

Default yes Tom.... got hit with Laser and i did have the V1 on......

which I'm sure didn't tickle the officer's fancy as my remote is hardmounted and was in plain sight when he came to my car.

There were extenuating circumstances that provoked me to issue a plea (rather than just paying the fine and choking on the 5 points... ack) so that's why I'm doing this.

No defense against laser though... even in a small town where I was tagged on the Eastern Shore.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Way way back in driver training at the age of 16, we had to sit through 4 hours of traffic court

just to observe the interaction between the defendants and the judge and the police. That was a very good lesson in what works and what does not work.

What I remember clearly was that the judge would waive the fine if you made it clear that your were dirt poor, but it still it went on your record. I also remember that the judge cared little about excuses. And I also remembered that if the policeman was present, and it was your word against his, you'd lose unless you could offer some real evidence. I also remember the trick of just showing up in case the policeman did not show, since a few folks got off that way.

I would guess that judges are weary of excuses, unless you can show that you were preventing a greater crime by committing the crime of speeding, or if you were preventing some injury to yourself or someone else by speeding.

So fess up to us. What is your excuse?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Elder Member

Default thanks Sean.... I was kinda worried that "court costs", knowing the government,

could run into 3 figures. Ack.

The situation where I was tagged was exactly what you described... I was in a group of 5 cars; 3 of us in the left lane passing 2 in the right. The car behind me had been ON MY @$$ within what looked like inches the entire time there were cars in the right lane (preventing me from getting the h3ll away from the idiot) so the moment the right lane was clear, I got over there *quickly* cuz to be honest he was worrying me. The very second I pulled into the right lane the laser warning went off.

While I don't truly believe i had hit 85 at that point, I'm sure I was going faster than 55. The cop saw my V1 (as I said to Tom, the remote is not removable anymore) and that was the end of that story... the officer had a really jerky attitude, although I didn't even try to explain at the time.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Elder Member

Default this is pretty much it Craig........

and i chose the option to plea guilty rather than contest the officer. only the judge and myself will be heard from, the officer won't be present.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/715526.phtml">my excuse. lol</a></li></ul>
Old 10-19-2002, 08:18 AM

Default I don't take kindly to your excuse making, little lady.

You should know better than to run with those other hooligans, they could have led you to destruction.

Now if you could have come up with something I've never heard before, or something that made me roll on the floor laughing with gavel falling out of my hand, I would have let you go.

But I say GUILTY as charged!

By the way, is that car you drive the new Beetle Ghia, or what?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Elder Member

Default But your Honor............!!!!!!!!!

RoFL!!

(must make a mental note about running with hooligans leading me to destruction...)
Old 10-19-2002, 09:58 AM

Default i did this once....needless to say, judge did not like explanation

55 in a 40 on coastal highway! damn i hate oc cops

Quick Reply: Speaking of speeding tickets (thanks Glen and Bill)... does anyone in Maryland have experience......