TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Spoiler - Insurance implications

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 07:10 AM
Andy

Default No wonder there are car Insurance problems?

Dear Jammtt(or whatever thing you call yourself)

First of all my email address was on my 1st posting, there was a server hiccup on the 2nd posting which lost my address, check it out, also I prefer not to receive private email as this is a public posting and the general public would want to see the advise an Insurance professional can give, that's how information is spread.

I don't propose to waste much more time (as I expect that you will be forced to reply?)

You seem to be good at twisting what is said in jest (you might make a good Insurance salesman?)

1)No one should modify their standard cars in a way that would improve performance as they stand a chance that their Insurance is Null and Void. If you check with your underwriters I'm sure that they do not like to see cars "chipped" especially as a turbo car has much more to gain than a normally aspirated. To think that an Insurance accident inspector is unable to check and see this is ....well naive to say the very least. This is an area of Insurance where something or someone is bound to get caught out sooner or later. it's just waiting to happen.

Your comment "your reading comprehension must be very low" I will not react only comment that you must be a somewhat an under-age TT driver? You don't have to resort to insults to get your point over.

Your further comment "Hey Andy, have a nice weekend" I understand your comment and it's meaning, I only hope that other car drivers note your bad advise, note your Company name and act accordingly?

Finito as far as I am concerned

regards Andy
Old 11-19-1999, 07:22 AM
Jenner

I found this thread to be VERY relevant and informative to me...thanks J (nt)
Old 11-19-1999, 07:22 AM
Jenner

(damn enter key) I meant to say thanks JMaTT and Andy (nt)
Old 11-19-1999, 07:27 AM
Richard

Default You're right Steve! (more)

My UK policy says similar things AND on a separate tack I recall a case where someone had not fitted seatbelts and (even though this was not illegal on his particular vehicle at the time) the driver was deemed to have contributed to the severity of his injuries in a subsequent crash! This led the court to reduce his claim. Seems a similar issue here for UK drivers IF they choose NOT to have the upgrade.
Old 11-19-1999, 07:29 AM
JMaTT

Default My apologies Andy.....

First, my Name is J Matt (I go by my middle name - no mystery there). Anyway, the first post was from "andyl" the post replying to me was from "ANDY". I thought they were two different people. I note that your e-mail is from the U.K., I was speaking about the U.S. (as I noted) and you may be 100% accurate in the U.K., (which I also acknowledged in another post).

Let's chalk this up to a mistunderstanding caused by being two different people from two different countries with two different sets of rules.

Thanks, and sincerely - have a nice weekend.

J Matt
Old 11-19-1999, 07:36 AM
garyc

Default I read my policy too and concur. UK is different to US. (Thank God say some). You have to declare

......any mods. Interestingly, I have different wheels on my TT and told the insurance co (they will wriggle at anything, so it seemed right thing to do). Anyway, my policy schedule reads 'Modifications: body'. I presume body includes wheels.

I don't think that the factory 'improvements' will affect insurance, as the car has not been declared unsafe and these are not safety mods in Audi's vernacular. If one did not have spoiler there should theoretically be no diffence to cars behaviour at UK limits (70mph). If you have a high speed shunt (100mph+ and mid corner brake or whatever, then there is a good chance that with the exception of third party liability, your insurance company can say you have been reckless and contributory to shunt and therfore not pay.

I'm not going to put it to the test. Any UK insurers on the thread?

Old 11-19-1999, 07:45 AM
anon

Creep! (joke) (nt)