TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Stock 225 Exhaust questions- for an 180 TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 225 Exhaust questions- for an 180 TT

I just had a few questions...

1.) Does the 225 exhaust just clip right into the 180 spot- I know you need a new rear valence, but does the pipe need to be cut or anything?

2.) Is there a way to deepen the tone, like replaceing that box on the center pipe with a straight pipe, etc?

3.) Anything else I should know about the exhaust in general for a 180 TT?

I got a 225 exhaust from someone here and I just had a few questions about it. I think this would be better then the $1000-$1400 optional exhausts I was looking at, and I am wondering if it is possible to get a little deeper tone from it?

By the way: mine is a 180 Quattro
Old 08-13-2001, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock 225 Exhaust questions- for an 180 TT

1.) You'll need a reducing collar to match the larger 225 pipe to the 180 stock pipes.

2.) removing the center resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe will give the exhaust a slightly louder and deeper sound. You may also have a little resonance when lifting off the throttle at certain rpms.

3.) I don't know.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Few more questions

1.) Would a body shop have the reducing collar? Cost approx.?

2.) Would I need one fabricated? Cost approx.? Do you think it would be worth it?

Should I go to a preformance shop rather then a normal body shop? Since a preformance shop might be able to make the new center pipe.

Is there any way to get a deeper tone, and not have the resonance? What do you mean about the resonance part, what will happen?
Old 08-13-2001, 04:26 PM

Default Exhaust shop is what you need...

they can make the collar for you. its basically an adapter from the larger 225 pipe to the smaller 180 pipe coming from the cats. Have them install the exhaust, and it will be very obvious to them what needs to be done to put the pipes together. Probably a cheap thing to make... just a short (~4") length of pipe expanded on one end.

By resonance, I'm talking about what I hear from my TT with a straight-center-pipe Milltek system on it. If I let off the gas around or above 3K rpms while still in gear, there is a low rumble sort of sound and slight vibration. Not very loud, especially with the windows rolled up, but definitely noticeable. Fairly loud with the windows down. I actually like the sound.
Your exhaust shop would have to cut the resonator out of the pipe and weld in a new piece of tubing... not sure just what it might sound like since its the stock 225 system, but it will probably have more low frequency sound and possibly some lift-off resonance too. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-13-2001, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What is an exhaust shop, like Meineke, or Car-X??

I am just wondering what would be the rear diffrence between a Milltek vs. the stock wihtout the resonator- besides the larger tips and maybe the material the unit is made out of. I like the tone of the stock 180 vs. other cars I have heard, but I was going for something a little more deep, with a small rumble, like you described.

Will shops have a problem cutting out the resonator of the system? If it does not work out, they can probibly put it back in wihtout much trouble.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:54 PM

Default Re: What is an exhaust stop, like Meineke, or Car-X??

well, I went to Fremont Hitch, Weld and Muffler. Funny name, but great work. There are also performance shops that could do it. Some people have had good luck with Meineke or Midas type places, but I don't think they would be my first choice. Look under "muffler" or "exhaust" in your yellow pages.

Milltek is 2.75" pipes, with a straight-through higher flow design compared to OEM. The biggest reason to go with an aftermarket exhaust-- ANY aftermarket exhaust, is to let your turbo and engine breathe. This can allow the engine to produce a few more horsepower and some extra torque, while letting the turbo run cooler and spool up a little faster. Power delivery is WAY smoother then stock. The stock exhausts tend to be restricted in pipe diameter, where squished to clear the rear driveline, and probably in flow through the rear muffler as well.

If you're looking to improve your exhaust, people have said great things about the Borla for the 180... fairly affordable, but only one outlet. Obviously, the dual tips are nice, but I have no idea what sort of gain you'll get from the OEM 225 system.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the pipe is bigger for the 225 then my 180...

then I would have a more free flowing exhaust, which should give me a little smoother ride, maybe not as much as a full blown aftermarket exhaust, but for the price I could not pass it up, and I really really wanted 2 tips.

What do you think the cost would be for the cutting out of the resonator and replacement with a straight pipe, and also the cuppler (sp?)
Old 08-13-2001, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cut that sucker open and remove some baffling!....>>

Offered to do that months ago if someone would donate a system....No takers at the time, now they're giving them away! Anyway, the gist of the story is that we used to do that to Porsche 993 cans. Minor surgery, major nice results in tone and flow......worth a thought.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Details....

Something I can do, or would I need to send it to you? Would my local muffler shop do it?

Was thinking about cutting out the resonator, good or bad idea?
Old 08-13-2001, 05:19 PM

Default you're basically right...

in that bigger pipes should give you more flow. The OEM 225 pipe is severely crushed where it goes under the haldex though, so that reduces the flow. I haven't seen the insides of the stock muffler, but I'd guess that it is pretty restrictive given the difference on my car when I changed to the Milltek.

But cheap or free is good price for the 225 exhaust. Tom, I'm not an exhaust shop, so I can't say what the job will cost you... I can't imagine it will be a lot... totally guessing but maybe $100-200. You might consider having them cut out the resonator AND the crushed section too, which would help in the flow department (but you would also lose some ground clearance.)

Quick Reply: Stock 225 Exhaust questions- for an 180 TT