TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

strange alarm / dome light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [solved] strange alarm / dome light problem

Default wierd problem - interior lights and alarm
So, my TT hasnt been giving me too much grief, and lately, my interior lights have been acting up (the dome lights). The dome light stopped coming on during cold days until it warmed up. The pass/driver map lights still came on when you pressed the button like normal, so I really didnt think it was a big deal and figured the bulb for the dome was failing.

Tonight, it got worse - none of them will come on. Doesn't matter if i lock the car, have it open or press the buttons - nothing.

Worse yet - my alarm is not engaging. It will not beep - nothing. My door LEDs blink real fast like 3 or 4 times and then don't blink again after that.

I pulled the 3 bulbs just in case the temp has something to do with it, I dont want my battery to drain if they do come on.

Any ideas? Is there a module up in the roof area above the (right rearview mirror)? A fuse? I know when I got the TT, it had some leaking issues from the roof antenna, but I fixed that leak the day it happened after the stealership changed the antenna.

Last edited by chosos; 02-22-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default door latch switch maybe?

?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

supposedly the module where the dome plugs in is a problem area with out TT's and other owners at other forums had some luck punching it - not a very technical fix. I'm going to rip the dome light down tomorrow and try to fix the plug or contacts or whatever it is.

the alarm problem... not sure if that is related or not, or maybe since the dome module is out - its saying my interior light is on and the circuit is open preventing the alarm from locking. thats my only thought... beyond that - i have no clue.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chosos
supposedly the module where the dome plugs in is a problem area with out TT's and other owners at other forums had some luck punching it - not a very technical fix. I'm going to rip the dome light down tomorrow and try to fix the plug or contacts or whatever it is.

the alarm problem... not sure if that is related or not, or maybe since the dome module is out - its saying my interior light is on and the circuit is open preventing the alarm from locking. thats my only thought... beyond that - i have no clue.

Does the door open show on the cluster LCD?. If it doesn't it could be the micro-switch in the door latch. Very common problem. There'a a DIY fix somewhere here.

My own TT has been doing similar things, the courtesy light stopped operating when I opened either door. The rear interior light turns on when I lift the hatch and the cluster display shows when either the door or hatch is open. I checked all the bulbs but decided to wait until the warm weather to investigate. Map lights worked fine.

Last week I hit a fairly big pothole and suddenly all the lights are now working. However the auto up/ down on the drivers door is not working (along with the window not moving slightly when I open/ close the door).

It doesn't seem to react to the normal reset.

These Hungarian sports coupes definitely have their "Lucas Prince of Darkness " moments!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

door cluster still works.

im thinking its the module above that light. my trunk no longer opens from the inside, either. Not really sure why my alarm would be dead, but im going to rip it apart after work today.

if its just the center dome light, and not the 2 maps that arent working, it sounds like you have the same problem i do - because that is exactly how mine started.

[edit] Apparently, the window switches are out too, and my window is down 1/4 inch - the ammt it normally goes down when you open / close the doors. awesome... and i cant reset it, because the switch isnt working - and its still snowing. what a pain.

Last edited by chosos; 02-22-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

how anti-climactic... it was Fuse #14. apparently that will also take out your alarm, windows, and yet allow your hatch lights to still function.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chosos
how anti-climactic... it was Fuse #14. apparently that will also take out your alarm, windows, and yet allow your hatch lights to still function.
Thanks for that I will take a look.