TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Stuck in 2nd gear. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 2nd gear. please help!

this happend right after i started making a left turn and shifted into 2nd gear. all of a sudden i couldn't shift into any other gear.

now my transmission is stuck in 2nd gear. when i start the car, with the clutch down, the car can be pushed and seems to be in neutral. once i let up on the clutch it begins to roll forward like in 1st gear.

while driving slowly, with the clutch down, i can move the shifter into first and second position, but the transmission won't shift and stays in 2nd gear. but i can't move the shifter into any of the other positions while driving and the clutch down.

i checked the shift rod lever and linkage below the air flow box and everything seems to look ok. with the shifter in neutral, and the transmission stuck in 2nd gear, i'm able to push the shift rod lever down and then it pops up with no downward pressure. the linkages are also loosely movable.

however, when i engage the shifter into any of the shift positions, both the shift rod lever and linkage seem to be locked into gear and not movable by hand.

any thoughts? is my transmission toast?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Can you shift into other gears while the car is off? Did you look below the rubber

shift boot to confirm nothing is binding inside? When the car is off have someone shift the car to confirm there's nothing going wrong with the linkage while you observe the movement on the top of the transmission. LMK
Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very similar to what happened to me. Tranny is toast. sorry. Audi wanted $4K to fix it-$6k to replac
Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 AM

That's some tough love :-P I was at least trying to give a little hope before then inevitable
Old 07-11-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, yea, but these trannys are not like old Chevys, sorry. Mine is still in my garage, no one

wants to open it to actually see what is wrong.
I bought a used tranny from an '03 rather than try to spend hours and $$ taking it apart.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 AM

how much did you spend on replacing it with the used tranny
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Can you shift into other gears while the car is off? Did you look below the rubber

i did look under the rubber boot and didn't notice anything broken.

i can put the shifter into other gears and the linkage seems solid, but i don't think that the transmission is actually shifting anything.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

'bout $4K, labor and shipping, tranny
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by roro
this happend right after i started making a left turn and shifted into 2nd gear. all of a sudden i couldn't shift into any other gear.

now my transmission is stuck in 2nd gear. when i start the car, with the clutch down, the car can be pushed and seems to be in neutral. once i let up on the clutch it begins to roll forward like in 1st gear.

while driving slowly, with the clutch down, i can move the shifter into first and second position, but the transmission won't shift and stays in 2nd gear. but i can't move the shifter into any of the other positions while driving and the clutch down.

i checked the shift rod lever and linkage below the air flow box and everything seems to look ok. with the shifter in neutral, and the transmission stuck in 2nd gear, i'm able to push the shift rod lever down and then it pops up with no downward pressure. the linkages are also loosely movable.

however, when i engage the shifter into any of the shift positions, both the shift rod lever and linkage seem to be locked into gear and not movable by hand.

any thoughts? is my transmission toast?
did you ever figure out your issue?
Old 08-20-2020, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the shifter box has two linkages, one for up and down, one for left and right. I'm not sure I entirely understand the scenario you're in, but since you cant seem to go anywhere except 1st and 2nd gear, I bet looking in the shifter box for the connection to your left and right movement could be a fix. It could be disconnected from the shifter and lodged in position for 1st and 2nd
The following users liked this post:
Ralph Flores (05-01-2021)