TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suddeutschland TUV(S German Tech Insp) who are these folks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 12:50 PM
AkRascal

Default Suddeutschland TUV(S German Tech Insp) who are these folks

maybe some of our German friends can explain way, in their press release, Audi mentioned that these folks had more-or-less given the original TT a clean bill of health??
Old 02-04-2000, 01:33 PM
Jim Torongo

Default They regulate the German Auto industry and the German after market- which is way more regulated then

....the US after market.
Old 02-04-2000, 05:44 PM
AkRascal

Default Are they a government agency.. or independent?

From what you said I infer that it must be government if they regulate the entire industry?
Old 02-04-2000, 08:49 PM
CalVol

Default Technische Uberwachtung Vereinigung... which is

like your state inspection agency... establishes the rules for minimum auto safety standards, and enforces them w/ an inspection every two years... don't think they are responsible for establishing whether a car meets driveability requirements in the extreme ranges that the TT is said to lose control...
Old 02-05-2000, 05:57 AM
Denny

Rascal. They appear to be independent. Posted info above with the URL
Old 02-06-2000, 12:59 PM
Adam

Default Re: Are they a government agency.. or independent?

I have never posted here before, so let me first say that I am a big fan of the TT who is seriously contemplating the purchase of a TT at the end of this year when my lease on a BMW Z3 expires (yeah, I know I better get on the waiting list soon...). That said, I am writing because I have personal experience with TUV.

TUV is not affiliated with the German government; instead they are a fairly large company often involved in the independent certification of many types of electrical and mechanical products and systems (medical, transportation, etc.). My background is in electrical engineering, especially the types of safety-critical electronics that are used in trains and planes. I have been working for the past two years with TUV to obtain safety approval for a Metro system being designed by a US company but installed in Europe. In doing so, I have had a chance to visit TUV's facility in Cologne, where it appeared that more than 1,000 people worked. Occasionally, a very loud crashing noise was heard in the building, and it was explained that automobile crash testing is routinely performed at that building. In fact, the first TT I ever saw in person was parked in the TUV parking lot a few years ago, but I think at this point it had already been released in Europe, and probably belonged to an employee.

TUV is a large organization with various branches, and I don't claim to have any knowledge of how exactly they are/were involved with the TT. However, from my personal experience, TUV has a well-earned reputation for being both methodical and very tough when it comes to safety certification. A safety certification from TUV carries a great deal of weight world-wide, which I'm sure is why Audi has mentioned it.