TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suspension advice for 2001 TTQR

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schwing if you have a few mins...

Can you guide me in comparing the (i guess its called) the shaft length of the HD's vs FSD's.

I just want to get a techincal feel for how the FSD's would react with stock springs vs HD's as the HD's have been proven to match up very good.

also what kind of springs do we have in our cars? I hear a lot of people in other audi forms speak of stock sport springs doing well with FSD's are our tts pretty much stock with sport springs?

thanks much.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No experience with FSD's.....But..>

I can shed some light on Bilsteins. BS sports have a 22mm shorter shaft than the HD's. HD's are fine with stock springs or a modest 1" drop. Sports are for more than a 1" drop. Either will work with either though (sports on stock springs, HD's on H&R springs) I would assume FSD's, not being categorized as a performance shock, would be close to original spec and the BS HD's. Anything other than Eibachs or S line springs will typically lower you more than an inch. Stick with either of those if you want a modest drop and want to retain some ride compliancy. If you have some time and want to get educated on this read the thread at the link below....

Lottsa info..<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1363022">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1363022</a</li></ul>
Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Immediately...>>

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1101053.phtml">Read this.............................................. ....</a></li></ul>
Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you, i need to find out what the shaft lenght of the fsd's are.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Just installed FSD/Eibach kit on mine last week. Driven some since the alignment on Tues >>

and am very happy. Took a spirited ride yesterday in the hills and noticed quite a difference over stock. However, my reference was a stock set-up with 105k miles ... well shot I'm sure! The new set-up is definitely firmer. It is a daily driver (75 miles round trip to/from work) and can't imagine driving on a suspension that is any harsher. I was hoping for more of a drop for esthetics, but I'm okay with the modest (less than 1") drop.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you give thought to keeping the stock springs? If so, why did you change? thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM

The new springs were slightly shorter (and I'm sure firmer), plus I wanted a small drop.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:35 PM

So far I haven't had any issues with hitting the stop, but I really haven't pushed it to 10/10ths.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where about in Houston are you?>>>

I'm right off of Allen Parkway and Shepard. Was looking for someone around the area to discuss and compare mods with. I also have a 2001 TTQR.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default I got the Koni FSD + Eibach Pro setup this spring.

I use the car on track days (Road Atlanta and Barber so far) and as a semi-retired DD.

~1-1/4" lower

Ride is supple as a DD. Athletic, but neither swoopy nor jerky. On-track, car firms up nicely: never felt under-suspended, or incapable at all. Making turn 12 at R/A was unnerving on stock setup, and positively self-confident on the new setup.

If you're looking for a nice compromise (and all are some compromise), this is a nice steup w/o the complications of going the full coilover: no math!

You will need either KMAC bushings or CPT LCAs in the rear (I did the Chicago Performance and Tuning LCA). Forge used to make some, but hard to find. This restores the rear camber from SERIOUS (-) to something you can tune, nicely.

I had several drive my car at R/A and they came away very impressed I think w/ the little bugger! The StopTech S2 brakes didn't hurt!

But you must have great suspension before you can get the most out of great brakes anyway!

Quick Reply: Suspension advice for 2001 TTQR