TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suspension problems, need opinion:

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems, need opinion:

DOes anybody think that a sticking or worn out rear shock contributes towards oversteer conditions? Ive checked the shock it doesnt appear to be leaking. Over the last couple of months the handling has been going down hill really fast. At first It felt like the rear left shock was sticking and yet still providing medium dampening, sometimes average, somedays below average. Lately even small bumps are producing no dampening and the car is smacking off the bump stops in the rear. Al;so I have noticed that on low speed medium on camber bends to the left that the car is starting to drift badly in the rear. This is with both esp on and off. Its noticeable at as low as 70mph. have dont the old push test on the rear, to see if it bounces, it does slightly. I am planning on putting the coilovers on but wanted to wait until spring. So I was wondering do you think the handling problem is strictly a worn out shock? Or should I look for something else as well. thanks for any advice on this>
Old 01-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Elder Member

Default Very possible. The dampers are only working in rebound . . .

when brand new. The oil filled Monroes have zero compression to begin with. It is possible the spring has moved slightly. I would check that. You said you have not seen any oil coming from the damper? Then it is not blown. Could be worn out. Do you feel the rear sliding out in both directions, or just left handers?

Has this been only with the winter tires? It is also possible it is the larger tread pattern that is allowing the rear of the car to slip and slide around. If you have a nice weekend, try swapping on your 4 summer wheels/tires and seeing how the car takes the same turn(s).

Have you checked the air pressures? Both front and rear.

Just a few thoughts. Let me know what you find.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:50 PM

Default yeah checked the tire pressures, their all good but

I also was having similar problem with the S02s but it wasnt as extreme. Its most noticeable on left handers, but does slip abit on right handers as well. The winter tires a 50 series H rated, sure they arent super stiff but as far as winter tires go they are pretty good performance wise. Larry I wuld have thought that the front shocks would have gone first due to weight transfer and stuff?? You had yours done right? which leaked first? front or rear? I would have thought that it would have started to leak by now...its to bad you werent closer you could check it out....makes for a damn scary ride... any tips as to how to get them to leak?
Old 01-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Elder Member

Default still running my stock OEM dampers!

40,600 miles . . . the rars are starting to leak. The fronts are still not leaking.

The rears are gone. Once I get a job and get a few dollars I have a few items on my "list" to do with the car. First is either summer tires or PSS9's
Old 01-24-2002, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After reading Steve Schwing's whitepaper on coilovers

I've decided against pss9's. Although the flexibility of the setup is tempting, my car is a daily driver and I would not want to take the time or money to use the adjustability.
A this point, I'm not even sure i want to lower the car, so I'm thinking maybe some nice Bilstein dampers and calling it a day.

And then.....

Maybe a MR spyder or Lotus Elise for fun track stuff....
Old 01-25-2002, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're still under warranty aren't you? Why not get them replaced?

While people here haven't had luck getting their OEM shocks replaced under warranty when they believe them to be performing poorly, they will replace leaking shocks no questions asked.

Why get another set of OEMs? Why not, they're free...
Old 01-25-2002, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rear shocks in my roadster were shot (major flat spots) @ 6000 miles

Like driving a pogo stick
Old 01-25-2002, 07:08 AM

I did the Bilstein dampers and like it, can't stand the wheel well cave - Eibachs anyone?
Old 01-25-2002, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default >> Once I get a job and get a few dollars <<

Ahh, that's why you seem to be always here.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Elder Member

Default well that and I am! lol :)

Are ya trying to get rid of me Ron?

Since you said you will be driving down to Asheville, try and twist Rahul's arm into tagging along on the convoy. He thinks he is welcome if he flies down! lol

Quick Reply: Suspension problems, need opinion: