TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Sway bars questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars questions

It seems the general consensus on this forum is to get the Neuspeed 19mm rear sway bar and leave the stock front to have more neutral handling. With the heavier engine in the TT 3.2, would 19mm be sufficient to acheive the same goal? Has anyone upgraded the front sway bar as well? How does it change the behaviour of the car with an aftermarket front as well as a rear sway bars?

I am currently leaning towards the H&R rear sway bar (21mm) since they are adjustable and don't require periodic lubrication to prevent squeaks from bushings. Not sure if I need the front sway bar (25mm) though.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From what I understand......

you should be okay with just the rear. The Neuspeed 19 or the HR 21 should be fine.

The front sway bar is a pain in the neck to get to. I believe you have to drop the subframe to get to it meaning you will also probably need an alignment when done. The front is definitely not a DIY job if you don't have that much mechanical know-how. The rear on the other hand is relativley simple install where you can either just drop the exhaust or take the whole thing off and it's right there.

I'd stick with just the rear. Also, I don't know if there's a sway bar out there that doesn't squeak.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Hummmm 10.5 % bigger on rear, I haven't driven a 3.2 but my "guess" is >>>

the understeer will be similar to the 225. The math says it will be even less understeer.... probablly to the 'oversteer' side of neutral. Unless someone can say they have done this install, I'll have to vote for 'too much' rear bar.

The "squeek" issue can be a pita, but if I were you, I would install the 19... THEN if YOU think you can handle more oversteer, then switch-up and you can sell the 19 mm bar - that's the safest way since you're the driver
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Hey Paul, now read mine \/ \/ \/
Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Gil's usually pretty good about "guessing", so I'd have to concur.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Good advice. Since I can sell the 19mm rear sway bar easier than the 22mm version.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I noticed a real nice difference in feel after I did mine. You won't be sorry.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My opinion on sway bars.............

may or may not be necessary considering each individual setup and a persons driving skill. I would do them as the LAST suspension mod as well, after shocks/springs, tires and/or spacers.

In your situation you have the ability to control the front and rear stiffness of the car - as well as rear camber through adjustments to both the spring height and rebound and low speed compression dampening. Each of these adjustment can affect how the car handles in terms of oversteer and understeer. You can effectively stiffen the rear end of the car with rebound and compression dampening - although it could also affect ride quality. You can also increase rear camber as well.

I'd drive around a while with the V3's and adjust to where you feel the ride comfort vs handling is where you want. Then if you feel the car still understeers consider adding a rear bar. If you plan on doing spacers - do them BEFORE adding a rear bar to determine how much if any they affect understeer as well. At that point look into a rear bar if you are not satisfied. A 21mm rear bar will definitely be stiffer than a 19mm rear bar - but for your car with more front weight - it might be ok. Again -take some time to get used to the V3's and what they can do before jumping on the rear bar bandwagon.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default However - the 3.2 and 225 have different suspensions to start with.....

and also have different spring rates (well some) when modified. I've driven pretty much all the TT's stock and modified - no modified 3.2 - but the 3.2 definitely is stiffer - but still understeers more than the 225.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the 3.2 and 225 have the same size sway bars?

Quick Reply: Sway bars questions