TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Talking myself out of buying a TT. Am I paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Talking myself out of buying a TT. Am I paranoid?

I need some advice.

I'm in the market for a used car, and like you, I love the styling of the TT. After reading through a ton of user reviews online, however, it seems like several problems keep getting mentioned over and over again:

1. burning oil (might mean the turbo is going?)
2. electrical problems (instrument panel, windows, alarm)
3. stalling
4. creaks, rattles, (general fit and finish problems in the car)
5. Audi service departments seem to be very expensive and hit or miss (We can't reproduce the problem, sir.)

I would love to get a TT, and would be using it as a daily driver (throwing some snow tires on it in the winter) BUT I don't have a ton of cash for constant repairs or the ability to be without my car because it's in the shop. I need something reliable.

A particular TT I looked at is a 2000 1.8 quattro coupe with all the options. It has relatively high miles (about 80k), and seems to run fine. The owner has all service records, recall records, and it looks like it was babied. I was getting ready to buy, and the price was right, but the horror stories from some TT owners have me worried.

So, I guess my questions are:

If the car appears to run ok when it has 80k miles on it, was well maintained, am I pretty much in the clear of getting a "bad TT"?
How long can I expect the turbo to last with daily driving?
What percentage of TTs have the electrical malfunctions and problems with burning oil?

I realize without seeing the car, you can't really advise me one way or the other, but any unbiased help you could offer me would be appreciated.

I don't care if it isn't the fastest car. I don't care the back seat is useless, or that the bumpers scratch easily. I just don't want to go broke constantly fixing a car. Will anyone go so far as to call the TT "reliable"? Please?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry but sounds like you need a Honda

This car isn't for the faint of heart.
I have seen a lot of TT's with high mileage last very long.

The key is having all scheduled maintenance verified as having been done. Also check if timing belt and water pump was replaced. Otherwise, you'll be sorry. To avoid costly hassle in the electrical department, check to see if instrument cluster was replaced and possibly FSU.

Everything else just needs to be dealt with as it comes. 2000 model had a lot of issues. If you can stick 2001 or 2002. I had both years. All minor issues as far as rattling, creaking etc.

My car now has 67,000 miles.

Honestly, I love this car. I waited until warranty expired before modding. It was a money pit then and it is worse now except money spent generates grins. Also had some painful lessons to learn.

If you rely on this car to get from point A to point B. You better have some cash reserve or get extended warranty or cheapest solution...buy a Honda.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another thing you have to remember on this forum

is this is a limited number of TT owners. Everything that happens to our car will be journalized here (and possibly from an outside point of view, when you read this forum, the "problems" outweigh the joy of owning a TT).

But that is not true. I can say after several years of being on this forum and owning a TT, no matter what the problem is, we still love our car. Yes there are problems here and there that all can be worked out (as with ANY car).

There are not many cars that can bring out such profound owner satisfaction as the TT. Just turning and looking at the car after exiting it always brings a smile. If you don't have that feeling, then the TT is not for you.

I'm glad you're considering the TT and hope you do purchase one, but as TwisTTer said, you do have to be prepared for some little things along the way that may add up to some cash.

As I said - we still love our TTs. (!)
Old 06-04-2005, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default did you drive it?

see if you like how it drives!
Other than an instrument cluster at 5K I've had no problems.

if you're buying a TT with 80K then it is reasonable to expect to put some money into it over time

most 1 owner cars are babied!

check edmunds.com to get an idea of what you should be paying. Check carfax just to make sure.

drive it to decide

don't let what's on the forum change your mind
keep in mind that (as with most forums) people tend to post when they have problems

thousands of happy TTers out there driving problem free who are not posting

if the possibility of problems (and associated cost) makes you nervous, then, as TwisTTer said, get a brand new entry level Honda (or Toyota)
you'll have a warranty and some extra cash

me, I paid about $39K in 2001 and my only regret is waiting too long. IMHO, $15K or under for a TT is a steal!!!

AudiologisTT
Old 06-04-2005, 05:01 AM

Well said MarTT, I agree with all of it.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 101,000 miles and an extra 120hp here >>

most of the quirky stuff was repaired within warranty. I would guess if the car you're looking at has 80k on it - most of the bugs have been run through. You want to make sure the timing belt has been done and if it hasn't - do it as soon as you get the car. That should run you ~$500 at an independent shop - unless you can do the work yourself.

I run into problems every now and then - but, it's because I'm really pushing the car as a daily driver with tons of extra power due to a bigger turbo kit, race clutch, etc.

When I pulled the stock clutch out at 85k miles - it was still in good shape. Moral of the story is - if the person babied this car and it has high miles... I see no reason it wouldn't keep on ticking with minimal maintenance.

Just remember... timing belt will be an expense if it has not been done. A lot of people here do it every 65k.

Andrew
Old 06-04-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree a Honda is more reliable.If the timing belt & water pump do...

in fact have to be replaced figure at least $500-700 probably more.Experience on this forum dictates changing them at 50K is more prudent. Not the much higher Audi recommended interval. If the timing belt fails your talking about a new engine.Big bucks!I love this car but if you need to be practical buy the Honda!IMHO
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 AM

Default most likely, you're doing the right thing...

to answer your questions in order:

1. i've never heard of the burning oil...
2. yes, the 2000 has plenty of electrical problems, but none are <b>major</b>
3. stalling? it only stalls if you can't drive a stick :-P
4. the tt is the worst with rattles. however, if you have patience you can get rid of all of them. people on here have done "write-ups" explaining how to remove almost every rattle
5. german cars are expensive to fix. however, with a tt it <i>is</i> kind of "hit or miss", (like all cars, im guessing) you either get a really good one and never have any problems, or you're unlucky and get a really bad one...

tt's are great for every day cars, no doubt about it. but my advice to you is, do not buy that car if it's off its warranty. 2000's are too risky to buy without it. that way, if you buy it and there's a bunch of problems, you still have your warranty... and hopefully enough time to trade it in if it's seems as if it's going to give you a bunch of problems...

hope that helps...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Poeple come to these forums to discuss issues or problems with their cars

That's the nature of these forums. People rarely post positive things about their cars.

Going off on a tangent analogy, do you ever see good news on TV? Rarely.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you're on a budget...

and this fits within your buying budget, get it. I would do the timing belt/water pump change as recommended by others. If you leave the car alone and do normal maintenance it will run just fine. A lot of the problems here are "self inflicted" because of combinations of modifications that need a little finessing to work together. Other problems are stock parts failures. On the forum, you'll just hear about the problems. Most times the cars are rolling down the road, problem free. I'd look at a 2002 with lower miles and maybe some free maintenance left on it.

Quick Reply: Talking myself out of buying a TT. Am I paranoid?