TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

temp gauge strangeness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default temp gauge strangeness?

Had problem a couple of times where during the warmup, once the needle got to about the first mark, all the sudden, it would go crazy and pound itself back and forth on the needles as fast as it could until the temp rose enough to get past the problem. REported to the dealer, but it seemed to clear itself up. Did it about 3 times. For over a year, I noted that when coming off the interstate and stopping to go to work, as the car heated up with no airflow through the radiator, the temp gauge would go up over the halfway mark, then the fans would kick on and I'd see the gauge go down to slightly below straight up. Changed the coolant temp sensor and flushed coolant. Then I noted that when I came off the interstate and stopped, the car would heat up, and the fans would come on, but the gauge wouldn't go up until the fans came on! Then it would go up slightly even as the fans were cooling, then it would come back to "normal" after the fans quit. Now, tested 2 days in a row, noted that the gauge is not going over straight up and down. Even tho the fans are coming on. I'm beginning to suspect the gauge again. I let it sit and idle for about 5 min this morning after getting to work, and the fans kicked on twice, but the gauge never moved past straight up and down, even a hair.
Suspicions??
Fig
Old 03-12-2004, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"flushed coolant" you sure you do not have air in the system?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I did have at first, but it finally vented.

Bentley doesn't have any inst. for how to do this, just fill from the overflow tank. Seems to have cured itself through several heat/cool cycles, and everything has been fine since then. That was about 3-4 months ago. gauge works just like normal, from cold through "normal". I just find it strange that it doesn't go up any, like it used to do, caue you know it has to be getting hotter than normal for the fans to kick on. SHould go up, then drop down as fans cool...
Fig
Old 03-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i had a similar problem...but now, my temp gauge needle sits closer to "H" >>

from a cold start, the needle jumps two notches. i thought it was the temp sensor, since i've heard of faulty ones. i had the black one and changed it to the green one. no change whatsoever.

its the same deal...two notches up...and when the car warms up to normal...two notches past 12 noon.

i took it to the dealer...they didn't even blink...which is why i'm sick of bringing up any issues with them. BTW, i took it to DCH audi in Maplewood. They blamed it on my FMIC and DV. WTF? like that has anything to do with the temperature gauge. i feel they just want to weasel out of it...i have no idea why, since they make their money back from AoA.