TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Here's an update on my decision...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the advice, everyone! Here's an update on my decision...

First of all, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice! I agree with Denny and others who say that a TT will be less enjoyable if it comes with money worries. I also agree with Brad... "save like crazy". Good advice.

I also enjoyed reading about people who worried when they got a TT, but didn't have anything to worry about in the end. "Welcome to heaven". "A shroud has no pockets". Everyone had valuable things to say. Thanks so much for responding!

I didn't provide a very clear picture of my financial situation in my original post because I usually don't feel comfortable posting things like that on a public forum. I'll just say that my biggest concern about this whole thing isn't "where is the money going to come from", but rather "think of all the more responsible things I could do with this money". My wife and I are DINKS, and that won't be changing down the line. We really don't have any liabilities to speak of, other than this house. *grin*

I'm not going to have to make any lifestyle changes to get a TT, but as ObsessTT speculated I'm pretty watchful of my bucks. "Save like crazy". Buying a house and a TT within the same month digs DEEP into the savings. Deep. I can replenish in about a month or so, but it feels weird not having any savings. Feels like I'm rushing into things.

Nobody really argues that buying a house is a foolish thing to do. Houses (especially this one) go up in value. This house provides me, my wife, and my business with much more space and comfort. It is a wise and practical decision. A TT on the other hand is not a wise investment, and has very few practical payoffs. But OOOOOooooohhhh I want one. I've wanted one for a long time. And I know myself; I will continue to enjoy it for years and years. It's worth it to me.

So mostly this is about my feelings, and trying to be a responsible young fellow in the eyes of my family and friends.

Oh and my wife... she's really supportive of my decision in this. She really likes the TT. Her biggest complaint about my getting a TT is that I'm getting a coupe instead of a roadster.

I'm going to go for it. My finances will catch up to my comfort-level-threshold pretty quickly. My wife digs the car and has no complaints about the budget impact. I really think I'm ready for it. And I'm doing a "Premier Purchase" so I can sell the car quickly if I need to do so, but the payments are still low because of the balloon payment deal.

Once again, thanks for all of your advice! Next month, I'll buy a digital camera and fill pictureposter's hard disk.

P.S. I haven't seen the car yet. Hopefully it is the same car I ordered! All this worry would have been for nothing if it's a roadster, or is the wrong color or something. (You can relate, eh Skip??)

-Jeff
Old 10-15-2000, 02:03 PM

good job thinking this through.
Old 10-15-2000, 03:25 PM
Elder Member

The TT family wins one for Jeff this time. Enjoy the car, one DINK to another.
Old 10-15-2000, 03:26 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh heck, didn't know you were a half-DINK with the ability to replenish savings in one month. Good

decision, buy it and enjoy it. I did that once with a trip. Was going to school at night, working, raising two teenagers alone when all of a sudden I hit the wall, total melt down, I knew if I didn't do one nice thing for myself really quickly, I'd be of no use to anyone. Hadn't taken a vacation in about 5 years. Picked up the phone booked a weekand a half in Turks and Caicos, put it on a credit card (hate them), arranged for the kids to go to the grandparents, skipped a week and a half of school/work and had the best darn time of my life. Came back rejuvenated. Took me 7 months to pay off the credit card bill, but it was worth it. Sometimes you've just got to go for it. Now that you've made the decision, don't worry about it. ENJOY! You'll have to go take Janet for a ride!!! Can't wait to see your pictures!!!!
Old 10-15-2000, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

YIPPEE! Sounds like a sound decision....
Old 10-15-2000, 04:41 PM

Sounds like a gooood decision here!!!
Old 10-16-2000, 06:31 AM

Default Re: The Balloon Payment

So how does that work. At the end of the term do you just pay the balance with a car loan check from your bank? or pay cash for the remaining balalnce. I still don't understand the differences between Premier Purchase and a lease.