TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is there any chance of getting Audi to help pay for my Insrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any chance of getting Audi to help pay for my Insrument cluster?

I'm at 53K miles and the Tach stopped working. I have a 3rd Party warranty but its not covered under that.

Any ideas?

I tried the fuse trick, no luck.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can try calling AoA but it will be hard to get anything from them. You can also try to

investigate the history of the car (I'm assuming you're not original owner) and check if there was a complaint about the cluster made during original warranty which did not resolve in a replacement.
If not, you can always try to find a used cluster to save some money. They come on sale from time to time.

Are you sure its the cluster and not something else?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The only problem is...>

The cluster needs to be programmed by the dealer. I've heard you have one shot at getting it coded correctly if I'm not mistaken. Not something for the DIY'er...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on a brand new cluster and using Audi's "regular" methods YES you only have 1 chance of setting the

cluster. BUT with a used cluster and "aftermarket" methods you can do with at as you please and set it as many times as you want as long as the cluster is the right model for your car.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 AM

Default doubt Audi will do anything...

You could try removing the cluster and cleaning the contacts. Others have reported this to solve some problems.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM

Re: have 34 on mine and gas stuck at empty dealer replaced it
Old 12-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Default where do I find info on all of this? How can I determine if it might be something else?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Call the dealer, unless it's obvious you've been sticking your fingers back there.

At only 53k, they might be able to at least cut you a reasonable deal.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Go to your local Audi dealer to ask that question...

Even if the car was not purchased from them, they can find its service history in their computer via its VIN number. You are young and a female, so if you present your case carefully and politely, the dealer might help you out. It could be worth the try. In any event you are not likely to get a new cluster or a repair on this forum. You need Audi and a mechanic.

BTW. Put your OEM wheels back on so the car looks completely stock when you plead your case with the dealer. You are only 3K over 50K, it might be worth a try...
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its not easy to determine what exactly it could be. I'm pretty sure its the cluster, just don't

want you to go through all the trouble just to find out that it was something else to begin with. Talk to your dealer. You have one major advantage over most of us Use it
Just ask what else it could be. If there is a separate feed for the RPM gauge in the cluster wire loom, then you could tap into it and see if there is a signal comming into the cluster in the first place. I'm guessing that if no signal was comming in, you'd have a code which could be pulled via VAG so that could be another way to check for it. If you have to get another cluster, then check with the dealer if they could program it for you. I'm guessing that the answer will be "NO", but you might get lucky.
I just had my cluster changed under warranty and its not as easy as I initially thought. If you have IMMO on your car, then ECU and cluster have to be programmed to work together and so do the keys for your car. I haven't seen any tools made available to general public which could do that. Even Audi has to go "online" and connect to the main server to program every single key. I saw them do it. Basically its not an easy task. If dealer would be kind enough to do it for you on a used cluster...it would be great! If not, then it will get a lot more complicated and it may just be worth it to pay for the brand new part. Another possibility is to try and retrofit the tach from another cluster into yours, but thats another ballgame alltogether.

Quick Reply: Is there any chance of getting Audi to help pay for my Insrument cluster?