TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

For those not TTired of it already...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My plans originally WERE much more involved...(background info some may find interesting)

and leaned toward an all-in-one data acquisition type module. We explored that and simply nixed it on esthetics. Even explored reshaping the pod when we did a CF dash etc., but the car will still be on the street and those options didn't do it for me.

We then focused on redesigning and making a new cluster with aftermarket gauges, but some technical issues with the new software and harness with the new Eurospec R32 engine and lack of support (tech) from the instrument vendors brought us to what in retrospect, I think is the best solution all-round...

Using the OEM gauges with supplemental accessory instrumentation. I'd like to add Defi was particularly helpful. Autometer was not.

After it was determined there were issues with the CF dash with the roll cage installation/fitment, as well as time constraints for when it needed to be done, it sort of cemented the final path.

I mention all this to highlight that as a project like this unfolds, the plan can change, that it is a dynamic process, in some ways of compromise what can be done in the time available for a particular stage. Not being at a certain place developmentally in one area, can affect a series of progressions down the road. It can be a supply issue, a change in design, a modification of intent etc.

The bottom line was that this car was never meant to be JUST a fast street car, but to have track capabilities, yet it was not meant to be SOLEly a race car either, which would have made things much easier. Neither was it to be so comprimised as a dual function car as to be useless as either. Paramount to this project was that it was to be executed in as high end OEM fashion as possible for a tuned car. What I mean by that, it is to match a standard that a major manufacturer would set for an equivalent vehicle.
That frankly was THE primary reason for choosing HPA to begin with, as they have the VAG contacts, resources and fabrication skills, along with a proven performance and finished product record to get the job done at the level I wanted (irrespective of the time that it has taken)

This was not a project for most, it certainly was not a project without serious commitment in MANY ways.

Because of the groundwork I layed on this project and seeing how well it was turning out, HPA midway offered up their highest engine and chassis development they had to offer...on a personal project INSTEAD of their company car project at the time. I am grateful for that offer and was confident that any R&D trials, wear and tear etc, would be taken care of professionally and without issue, as it has from day one. In the process HPA gets to exercise their legs, and in my view I get a more dependable product that is sorted to a very high degree.

At the point that I said thanks, let's do it...there is an understanding, from both parties and dare I say, an excitement, that exploded from owner and tuner that results in a truly rare achievement, and I hope lasting relationship, of which I'm very proud.

goTTzilla stands as what he is, perhaps not exactly as I originally planned, but certainly better..and brings with him a nice pedigree to boot.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get my email regarding the custom RS4 wheels?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Elder Member

CusTTom

Default Good to know about defi... post up those HUD pics when ya get em....

I forgot about the speedo.. .lol
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Does that mesh come with the spoiler lip you have installed?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM

Default I assumed it did. I told HPA what I wanted and they sourced...

the body pieces, wing etc. They then modified as I requested. (HPA received delivery, I never saw them.) If HPA provided or made/sourced the mesh (to match my grill) then it was never pointed out to me specifically if they did so, and was just billed out in the modification of the Reiger pieces, if at all.

I'll ask when I talk to them (prolly tomorrow) to make sure.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Default negative. when? ...

Dang, I might have missed it as there are 4 computers I work from at different times.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Wow, I appreciate that. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmm, think it was a week or two ago...

I sent it to your zillamoto account. I can resend it when I get home this evening.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Default sorry...never got it or missed it, not sure which,

I'll be on the look out for it. Sometimes the zillamoto.com mail gets messed for some reason.

I'll be glad to answer anything except the paint code, lol.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never get tired of that. Very Awesome!

Quick Reply: For those not TTired of it already...