TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Those sneaky French Canadians - V1 won that battle.......(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those sneaky French Canadians - V1 won that battle.......(long)

I couldn't decide whether just to tooTTle back to Boston from Stowe early this rainy morning or make a drive up to Smugglers and maybe onto Canada. Ed kinda got me wondering about the folks up there with his ordeal yesterday. I decided to decide over a stack of pancakes and while at the restaurant it started to rain harder. Hmmmmm, what to do. Go to Boston and be bored at the hotel, or drive in the rain. Then it hit me, that's why we have Quattro's - to drive in crappy weather. So off I go to Smuggler Gap, and then on up to Canada. The Canadian crossing guard liked the TT and quickly noticed the ABT wheels, bigger exhaust and big brakes and wanted to know about engine work. I told him no engine work but this was one fast mother F. He just laughed. Then he asked where specifically was I driving and which highway. I had Maps and Streets running on the laptop and he looked in to see my route. His last words were - "Have Fun". Hmmmm. Off I go and into the first little sleepy town and then up toward Dunham on 213. Trying to remember to convert all those speeds from kmh to mph and make sure I wasn't too far off the limit.

In the middle of no where, the V1 starts chirping pretty fast and something is up in front. On the brakes pretty good and not sure what the speed limit is at this point. I am looking in my rearview to see if I missed a sign but nope not one back there. I then crest a hill and there is one steep drop into the town and halfway down the hill it says 50 (30mph for us US guys)and the V1 is now on full bore. Sure enough way in the distance is one of those French Canadian county mounty's. I finally go creeping by him and his neck does a full turn on me. That's when those words "Have Fun" hit me again. Makes me wonder if there wasn't a phone call.

If this wasn't one of the best speed traps around I don't know what is. No speed sign, then the only one is part way down the STEEP hill. Now this would be a good test of your French if stopped.

Luckily for me I nailed the Stoptechs and must have been under 30 at the top of the hill or pretty close. I think I was doing 20mph when I went by him.

Never got another hit on the V1 over the next couple of hours of driving in Canada.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I highly doubt the customs guy called RCMP, probaly knew the route and knew the cops run it regular
Old 08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Question. Did you need a passport to cross the border?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I travel to Canada alot and always have mine with me. I think it makes it easier.

They can look and see that I have been to Canada, Germany, Italy, Holland and I think it helps assure them you have passed this test many times before.

I had no problem in US or Canada.

At the end of this year you will need a Passport, but right now you can still drive through. When you fly, you have to have proof of the passport. I have not seen anyone flying that does not have a passport.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM

Default New laws require you to have a passport to cross...

I don't believe that birth certs have worked since January of this year.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I went to Montreal on Sat...

Had a nice time, but I got jacked at the Canadian border and had to wait forever to talk with Canadian authorities. I must have looked suspicious, I guess.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Wow, you got lucky!!! Did you know that radar detectors are verboten in Canada?

THe RCMP have special radar detector detectors.. they tend to confiscate them.. Bastages.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope, didn't know that. Maybe that is why he was looking so hard at me. Do you think....

their equipment can pick up a Valentine?

Mine was high mounted with a dash mount remote.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice detour - never thought about coming back to Boston via Canada! Lol.

Great running with you on the trip up - as always the event was a blast.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow John. I possibly brought them out. I tore up the roads pretty good the day before.

Quick Reply: Those sneaky French Canadians - V1 won that battle.......(long)