TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

For those of you who own or thinking about buying a radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who own or thinking about buying a radar detector

a must read:<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/february/200202_feature_detectors.xml">http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/february/200202_feature_detectors.xml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-18-2002, 11:11 PM

Default valentine costs alot...

they do same job, as long as it can do k, ka, (dont think you need x band).

radars are pretty useless in town (keeps going off all the time), and on highway, some police use k, or ka band. most cops have their radar stuff turned on, so... good toy but does not really save your *** (maybe 30~40% of the time saves you).
Old 01-18-2002, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine has saved me about 3 times tonight alone, that is $300+ in tickets

so that pretty much pays for it, in ONE night. Beyond that I have had my V1 for ovr a year now, I am guess the final price for saved ticket $ is well into the thousands
Old 01-19-2002, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It depends on where you live mine (passport) paid for itself the 1st day & continues to do so!!!!!
Old 01-19-2002, 06:40 AM

Default The reason they go off all the time is because they ARE cheap...and unable to

distinguish between what is real. The valentine, IMHO is worth its price. Here in Central Connecticut where I live the police use laser. I can't tell you how many times I have detected it ahead because the cop was lasing the guy in front of me.

As far as going off around town, the V1 gives a lot less false readings than the passport I used to have. AND in my town the local cops use Laser. It also tells you the direction where the radar is coming from so you can determine whether it is a false alarm or real.

Many of the lesser expensive models of detectors also emit...I can't tell you how many times my detector goes off telling me radar is behind me only to slow down, have some yahoo pass me and have the V1 detection point forward as soon as they are past.

By the way...I own two V1's...both definitely worth the extra bucks.

Just my $.05
Old 01-19-2002, 07:24 AM
Elder Member

Default Wendy, you just answered a Q I was going to post, thanks......

my V1 (god bless it's little electronic heart) was going off like crazy the other night, as if a cop were following me... and being the only TT in town (or in a 60 mile radius as far as I can tell), I tend to attract a bit of unwanted "official" attention. The signal was strong enough that I knew he'd have to be close enough to see if it were a real bogey... I slowed down, and come to find out, this van (definitely NOT police!) passed me with the signal direction following him (back to side to front)... I was puzzled until now, I didn't know the cheapies emitted too... thought perhaps he had a jammer and was going to ask if they emitted signals.

Thanks, and have a great weekend up there,
Nancy
Old 01-19-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Don't believe what they wrote. V1 or 8500 are fine. I have 8500 and my buddy has V1. We like both.

8500 saved me tickets several times. I did try the V1 but did not like it much, too big and many false alarms. 8500 is small and does its job. If you like the arrows pointing then V1 is the one..
Old 01-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Default That is annoying. I had a guy on the interstate who wanted to drive 10 over...

as I did, and his 'fuzzbuster' drove me nutz. I finally legged it a mile or so ahead of him, and we continued at the same pace. Fortunately didn't get zapped doing triple digits to get ahead.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Elder Member

Default Both V1 and 8500 are the best. Depends on how you use a detector

The V1 may give more false alarms, but that's because it's more sensitive. The direction arrows help you determine if they are radars or falses. I think once you learn to use the V1, it's the better choice. As for the 8500, it's the best out there that is more like typical detectors where there is no tool to help determine if it's a false or not. If you prefer not to put any thought into determining if it's a flase or not and would prefer to just go by the beeps, get the 8500.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:12 PM
MIB

Interesting logic. "Both are best" and not thinking. Enjoy your tkts.

Quick Reply: For those of you who own or thinking about buying a radar detector