TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

time to get the car ready for fall track events>>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to get the car ready for fall track events>>>

I'm going with the Hawk HP+ brake pads front & Rear and Motul Brake fluid.

Questions-

Best place to buy?

How much Fluid needed to flush the system?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just flushed my system using a motive power bleeder and used...

a little under 1 liter including doing the clutch. depending on how you do it you could easily use more than a liter.
for track days I like to bleed my brakes between days (if its a multi day event) so its probably a good idea to get 2 liters.
I used ATE super blue which I purchased locally so cant help you there.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Out of curiousity, how does the TT hold up on the track?

With chip and exhaust I find that my 225 TT heat soaks pretty quickly. I'd also be concerned about whether or not the stock radiator would be able to keep up with the heat on the track. Are these unfounded concerns or do you have mods to help out with this?

FWIW, I track a '74 911 fairly regularly and have noticed that people tracking newer street cars (996, WRX, Boxter, A4, M3) often have cooling problems. I would like to take my TT for a track day to see how it does.

Finally, I live in the Bay Area. What groups do you drive with?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some answers...>>

The heat soak issue can be solved with a front mount IC. The 225 stock ICs (2) are around 70% efficent where the FMIC is around 90% +-10%.

The stock brakes will work fine on the track as long as you update a few items: SS brake lines, better pads (HP+ work well), better brake fluid (Motul or ATE Super Blue are good) and I would recommend the TyrolSport Brake Stiffener kit. the kit replaces the rubber sleeve in the caliper with a brass sleeve. The result is the pads will contact the rotor in an uniform manner instead of the top/bottom first. The pads will work better.

Other that that, driving skill is 90%. The last track event I attended, one of the instructers drove a rented automatic Neon. By the end of the event the front tires were toast but the car did as well as it could.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Out of curiousity, how does the TT hold up on the track?

I haven't run any events in the heat of summer- but the fall thru spring has been fine- I have a APR chip, Bailey DV, K&N filter, H&R Rear sway. Toyo T1-Rs. The cars a blast on track.

I've run with the Audi Club Golden Gate and NASA. NASA is a bit more aggressive with passing and trackline. Both have excellent instruction.

ACGG is having a one day event up a ThunderHill October 15th. Come drive!

www.audiclubgoldengate.org
Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Checked out the acgg web site, but it looks like they require 4 school events to qualify

for this one? I've done quite a few track days, just never in my Audi or with the Audi Club. What is the protocol?

I'm driving Infineon with Trackmasters next Friday (Oct. 6) and they are not marque-specific. They have a few spots open. You should join us! www.trackmasters-racing.com
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Infineon--tempting....

I love the rythum that track. But I will have to pass- in the middle of a house addition and trying to squeak in a few track events. Drop Paul Ayers a note (paul@audiclubgoldengate.org) i'm sure something could be worked out. I think they will be running several classes depending on skill. You may have to take a session with an instructor and get signed off. Also the ACGG is heading up to Tahoe this weekend. The drive up morman immergrant trail- by silver lake and lunch at the Kirkwood Inn is worth the trip alone.