TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Timing Belt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Issue

I posted this on the 1.8 forum but had no views. The TT forum seems more active.
Someone please help me out. I had to replace my timing belt after an unfortunate incident during the valve cover gasket replacement. I will have pictures later. In short a 10 mm socket ended up in the timing belt area when the top cam cover was open for the valve gasket change. Thought it had disappeared in to one of those mystery spaces that dropped objects seem to go to. The timing belt got ripped the long way when car was started and turned off immediately by me so the remainder was still on the gears. I followed the details on many links and how to's and got the new Gates belt in replacing my previously changed now torn Continental belt. I had the old original belt that came in the car new with the marking the mechanic used and the marking on the crank gear were present after the 105k belt change. the old belt was in very good condition.After doing the marking and counting teeth (68) for Top dead Center, When I put it all back together over a few days, the marks did not line up when I rotated the crank gear the one or two turns. I did the long device in cyliner #1 to locate top dead center and it was ok. Not being sure, I took it all off and remeasured everything , the marking were good and in the right direction. Same thing happened when it was put back in. Nothing is hitting or binding and TDC on the camshaft, the screwdriver and the crank pulley match up but the belt marks come around six teeth off the first turn and 12 teeth off the second turn and farther on the third turn. Sorry for the long note but I want to give the best info for the problem. I have a 2001 TT Quattro 1.8 with 140k miles. I think I might be good to go but dont want any serious damage.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you reference TDC with the Bellhousing mark?....>>

as well as the crank mark and Cam pulley mark? Remember, the piston comes up to TDC twice. Once on the intake stroke and once on the exhaust. It takes 2 rotations before the marks will line up again..
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Did you reference TDC with the Bellhousing mark?....>>

I just read some posts about checking the TDC through the hole in the tranny. I will check it. Also if the TDC marks on the bellhousing and cam mark line up does it matter if the belt marks dont line up. I hate to have to go in into the job again.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignore your old belt marks at this point....>

Seems you're not sure they were right to begin with. I'd set to the Crank, bellhousing, and cam mounts at this point..
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Ignore your old belt marks at this point....>

Having problem finding the tranny bellhousing mark
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Describe your trouble. >>

As Steve said the marks on the belt don't matter (Mine were two cogs out. What matters is the TDC on the crank and valve gear. Finding the crank one can be a pain the first time but them you can mark it and it gets easier.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Describe your trouble. >>

I am able to see the cam mark as it is marked (on the upper cam). The lower one I marked but also can use the little **** on the pulley as a reference. I see in most pictures of the lower pulley that the little knot is always in the area of the bole for the lower timing belt cover towards the front of the car. I saw a picture of the rummber cover for the tranny mark that Amarillo A4 posted but I dont know if the orientation is from underneath the car or from above for the flywheel mark (message #1624120)
Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thats right. The **** aligns with the bolt. >>

On the tranny end There is a small black plug where the tranny bolts to the engine (lots of cars are missing this plug. No biggie) it is visble from the front of the car. Its not precise but the mark should be in the middle of the hole.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found the flywheel opening!! The cover was already off. I guess left off by the mechanic that changed the belt previously. It is seen by facing the front of the car from the top under the hood on the right side. Look down between the wires, pipes and cables. All I see are the gears and no reference marks. What should I see for the TDC mark.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1780905.phtml">click</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Issue