TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tires, work with me here, OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires, work with me here, OK?

So all 4 of my tires are worn on the inside and the outside looks new. I get this crazy idea, why don't we take the tires off of the rims and turn them around, then mount the tires correctly according to the arrows on the sidewall and the good tread will be on the inside and the worn part will be on the outside.

Tire dealer took a gas pipe and said "No way, Jose. I'm not doing that, it will mess up the tires." I'm saying at the rate there being erased, I've got nothing to loose (~20K on ZR's).

Am I crazy or are the tire guys just selling me $1000 worth of new tires?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some tires are direction dependant so you can't do that

But some are not. Check to see if your tires are listed on tirerack.com, and see if they all need to spin the same way.

Since your tires are speed rated (ZRs?), 20k miles is about all you can expect out of them (from what I can tell).
Old 03-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Default I think he means remount them on the opposite side pointing the correct direction

he should really be addressing his alignment issue that is causing this.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Soul brother, I think

You got it, and you are 100% correct. But, until I get to that (alignment), why can't I do what I want? The tires will spin in the right direction, so how does that hose the tires? What am I missing (other than geting my alignment and tire pressures right)?

BTW, I'm told that rear wheel alignment is not possible on my TTRQ without modifying the suspension components.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default They are gonna be NOISY...>>

and the cars gonna be a little squirrely too. You may be hating life that you paid to have that done Case....Typical life expectancy of High Performance tires is about where you are now.....YOu can spend half of what you've been quoted for some good tires...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:53 AM

2nd that, it would probably be a waste for the amount of life you'll get from them
Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default uh. brain hurt ...

Directionals I have are one side "out" only, rotate one way only -- so you can't flip them to the other side. Besides, think about the geometry -- it's like you'll be riding on these skinny "edges" until they completely wear out. Sounds like a bad idea IMHO.

Let us know what you work out, tho. Always curious.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Ftiretech%2Fgeneral%2Fro tate.jsp">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/rotate.jsp</a></li></ul>
Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Steve

TTagz just about had me convinced and you have pushed me over the edge. New tires it is. Any recommendation on a national chain for alignment or should I go to the dealer?

BTW, I got your Email and I will be in touch on some mods. I jumped a guy in a Prelude the other night. He got the best of me so I need more power!!!! Seriously, I'm pretty sure it was a cockpit problem; I've been driving a Ford Ranger for the past 5 years. I guess I'm still a kid at heart (just celebrated our 30 wedding anniversary)!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LOL.......>

I'm clicking on my 34th so don't feel old! Let me know when you're ready on the Modshack stuff...

As far as alignments, about the only thing you can do easily is the front and any shop with good equipment can handle that. On the rear, the only thing really adjustable is the toe, and that's a procedure the typical alignments-R-us may have difficulty with. It requires loosening the bolts at the front of the trailing arm and tweaking the arm alignment.... Audi shops would be more familiar with this..

As to Cockpit errors.....Well, Practice, Practice, Practice...You're now a bigger target than the Ranger was!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I remember reading about this before

A person who had attended an Audi event (Quattro Challenge maybe?), was talking about how some guy from a tire company that was sponsoring the event did exactly the same thing that you are describing.

The tech had said "the outsides of your tires are worn, but the insides are ok," and had swapped the tires from side to side.

I think the root of your problem must be found of course...

Ali

Quick Reply: Tires, work with me here, OK?