TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tonneau cover -- how does it work? Trunk - how big?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 02:53 PM
Ed

Default Tonneau cover -- how does it work? Trunk - how big?

Saw the roadster at Philadelphia car show but it was on a platform -- could not touch. Dealer knew little.

Anyone know if tonneau automatically covers the top when lowered or is it a manual process? Also, what was left for a trunk -- does the top just take the space where the back seats used to be or more space?
Old 02-14-2000, 04:48 PM
Gene

Default Re: Tonneau cover -- manual

the cover is a manual process. It folds sort of into thirds then stores in the trunk. To fit it, you lower the top, then fit the cover on. No automaticity here!. The cover also takes a sig. amount of trunk space. Not sure on exact dimensions but I saw a cover in the trunk and there was perhaps room for a gym bag and a briefcase in addition.

Still ordering one

Gene
Old 02-14-2000, 05:38 PM
Craig Syverson

Default Re: Tonneau cover -- how does it work? Trunk - how big?

Ed -

Just to add what I have seen - the trunk on the roadster was not too terribly bad, but I didn't see it with the tonneau cover in the trunk. For what it's worth, the 180FWD has a bit more trunk space than the 225Q (mostly in depth) and, as you probably know, the 225 versions of the roadster come standard with an automatic softop, but the tonneau is still manual. This has me scratching my head as to why one would want an electric roof if one has to get out of the car to snap on the tonneau. As might be obvious, I'm not getting the electric roof option on my 180 roadster...

While we're on the subject - Gene, do you know the material from which the tonneau is made? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it wasn't leather, so I imagine I'll need a different kind of cleaner/conditioner for it..

Cheers,

Craig
Old 02-15-2000, 04:08 PM
Flick

Wow that makes the trunk kinda tight. Does the tonneau come standard on roadsters? (I'd assume so)