TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Total bull****!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-1999, 09:53 AM
Stephen

Default BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU CAUSE ROBBYK =) nt

nt
Old 08-06-1999, 09:57 AM
Stephen

Default Saleen Mustang

a base ford mustang, pick a model year 98, 99 is under 20K i think. NOw adding 20K in additions and modifications and I think it would also beat a TT. I have a friend with a 405 hp 98 mustang (i think its Saleen). Its 0-60 times are the faster than a Dodge Viper GTS....
Old 08-06-1999, 11:11 AM
Chuck Mayer

Default Re: Chuck, please provide web link to the European Press articles you are referring to

Articles appeared in British magazine "Car" as well as German magazine "Auto Motor und Sport.", among others. The articles were related to magazine test drives where the Q was determined to be relatively tail-happy. Blame is pointed at aerodynamics, as the TT's shape apparently generates far more rear-end lift than other Audi/VW models. Press speculates that a pop-up spoiler may be added like on the Beetle Turbo. Blame is also pointed at the Haldex awd system, which apparently was shifting power front to back (and visa versa) too abruptly. Audi's own quattro system does not exhibit this characteristic... These articles helped me decide to order a fwd TT upon my return to the U.S. following a stint with Saab in Sweden (although I ended up getting an M Roadster due to TT delivery problems with my dealer).<p>Still love the TT. Saw another silver today. I never get tired of looking at it!
Old 08-06-1999, 11:58 AM
bsm

Default Chuck: follow-up, please

So, was the press saying the fwd TT had similar lift problems, but that the problems weren't exagerated by the Haldex awd? I really noticed no tail-happiness with the fwd.
Old 08-06-1999, 02:27 PM
racer x

Default Re: Total bull****!

I bought a used 79 corolla sr5 for less than $1000.00, and spent $31000.00, and my car is faster than yours!
Old 08-06-1999, 04:11 PM
Brad Willis

Default Bring it on!...

Look, if you modify the holy **** out of a Miata, I don't doubt that you could create a serious race machine. What bothers me is that implication that the TT is not a very serious handler. I'd be the first one to admit that the 180 FWD TT is not the quickest on the road. When people ask me if it's fast, I reply, "no, but it's somewhere between quick and very quick". However, in the twisties, the TT is awesome and the high torque at a broad range of rpms, tells me that, in the twisties, it will give just about anything a run for the money.
Old 08-06-1999, 04:27 PM
Brad Willis

Default I think that the Miata would also be the car of choice if the Teletubbies could drive. Especially that gay one "Tinky Winky" (not that anything is wrong with being gay). nt

nt
Old 08-07-1999, 05:59 AM
Gong Szeto

Default my take

i'm intimate with both cars (TT and MX-5). umm, the handling in the miata is...better. it's a much lighter car and much more twitch-responsive.<p>but to say that it's better is not saying that the TT sucks. my brother SOLD HIS MIATA for the TT.<p>why?<p>TT BETTER CAR ALL-AROUND.<p>gs.<p>btw - i truly miss driving that rev-happy mx-5 though - it drives like a go-kart bat-out-of-hell!
Old 08-08-1999, 07:51 PM
Chuck mayer

Default Re: Chuck: follow-up, please

TT fwd has same lift problems (due to the design of the body and its rounded, sloping rear end -- Beetle has the same problem). However, the magazine's said it was really the Haldex system that's the root of the 225Q's rear end unpredictability. The mags compared the 225Q to VW's 4motion system on the Golf and Audi's own Quattro system; the Haldex system apparently shifts power too rapidly front to back (and vice versa). This problem doesn't exist on 4motion and quattro systems. TT fwd has no problems other than high speed aeodynamics...<br>
Old 08-09-1999, 05:56 AM
Chuck Mayer

Default Re: Total bull****!

The Miata does handle better than a TT. perfect weight distribution, better balance, lighter weight and rear wheel drive give it advantages the fwd TT can't match. The TT compensates for its front bias weight distribution with a wider track and tires. But in terms of pure handling, the Miata wins. That's why the Miata has often been named by the American and European press as one of the finest handling cars in the world at any price... Any driving school instructor will tell you the same thing...<br>