TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Traction control light flickering - possible solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction control light flickering - possible solutions?

This is getting annoying so I'm hoping someone else has come across this and found a cure.

Symptom:
From a stop, gentle to normal acceleration, usually to the left (turning out of a parking lot etc) will cause the traction control to go spazzy. This is getting progressively worse, so now I'm seeing it occasionally when turning right or even starting in a straight line. No where here are we talking extreme steering angles either, I'd venture no more then 30 degrees left of straight.

Pertinent supporting details or just more useless info... you decide:
1) Vag-com shows no codes
2) Car had the transmission out at 96k for replacement clutch. Shocks/springs went to near new R32 spec for the time being to cure broken rear spring and original shocks.
3) Car had 6 alignments between 96k and 102k. Sears four times, the dealer twice.
4) Full K-macs installed at 100k. LR trailing arm was removed and a new bearing pressed in at this time.

All of this is new since the first alignment after the clutch job. I mentioned this to the dealer clown (service writer) and techs when I had them align the car. Bentley indicates something about reseting the base value of the steering angle sensor when you do an alignment which changes the front toe settings. So wanted to be sure they did that. The dealer indicates they'd never heard of that, and their VW1552 monkey couldn't figure out how to do such a thing.

Anyone else ever had similar symptoms or ever done anything regarding resetting the steering angle sensor? I've searched the forums, but everything I saw seemed to refer to cases where the ESP/traction control lights were full on and there were codes stored in VAG-COM.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think that it was not long ago Russ Scott diagnosed this problem for someone

I think it ended up being a MAF?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey Dave! nope, I can't take credit for that one

I had an ESP fault caused by a whacked Haldex controller, though ;-D