TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tranny Grind.... Me Too! (Car is back from the shop,Yeah!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 02:47 AM
Chuck Palm

Default Tranny Grind.... Me Too! (Car is back from the shop,Yeah!)

My car is back from the shop after one week of "repairs:" Fixed both windows, now functional with new motors to raise and lower. They work! They replaced right wiper arm because it was stripped after falling off so many times. It too is now operable. They couldn't find my dash squeak, ugh again! Adjusted rear hatch so it will close fully, not ajar. (Success!) They couldn't get the tranny to grind from 1st to 2nd. They want me to meet with factory rep next Tuesday but I'll be in Puerto Vallarta. I guess I'll meet with him upon return. They seem to think I'm making up this very un-nerving grinding sound that happens from time to time while shifting from one to two. More than anything I wish they would believe me, I have three witnesses to this most interesting of malfunctions. What can I do to get their attention???
Old 11-19-1999, 03:06 AM
TT Zop

Default Re: Tranny Grind.... Me Too! (Car is back from the shop,Yeah!)

Take a ride and video it - maybe it will happen then.
Old 11-19-1999, 03:31 AM
mne

Default Thats the $64k Question Chuck... it's plagued me too but since they (more)

have replaced two other trannies that I know of I think it's something they've heard before in spite of such looks of surprise and shock when you mention it to them. Interesting that the service writer told me to my face that he'd not heard of a single transmission problem with the TT not 5 minutes after the mechanic who went for a ride with me had just shown me one TT on the rack with its tranny out and another on the ground with a less than 2 hour old transmission in it... and that he was "sick to death of doing transmissions this week." And I cant make my tranny grind when anyone from Audi is in the car. I think the only reason I got the nod on a new tranny when I did is because after the service writer said "nope... never heard of a tranny prob" I then asked him about the silver one up on the rack with its transmission on a jack beside it and a black one on the ground with a new transmission in it. He then disappeared back into the deepest recesses of the dealership for 20 minutes and came back and said "we'll order you a new transmission, when would you like to schedule it?" That was two months ago. I'm sure its still at the dealer or they've used it in another TT by now. Truth is, I want a new transmission, or mine fixed. But I dont want another transmission ala Brad that is as bad or worse than the one I have now. I'm not even totally convinced that Audi isnt capable of putting one taken out of Brad or my car or the other two I've seen done and shipping them off to another dealer that needs a "new" transmission. Like fruitcakes... there was only two ever made... they just keep getting passed around. I want one that works... doesnt grind and I think right now Audi is simply replacing trannies *****-nilly without truly investigating the problem. Its like someone at corporate is telling the dealership level "if someone squeaks loud enuf, give em the grease... otherwise, dummy-up." There IS something at work here on the tranny issue... there's GOT to be. We're not getting the true story or any semblence thereof. Audi has other, more pressing fish to fry right now with safety issues, etc. Someone somewhere within the bowels of AOA/AG knows of this issue... they HAVE to. This isnt a low-numbers issue. I think its wide-spread and rampant. I think when 30% of the forum here 2.5 months ago reported probs that a pretty good demograpcic sampling of TT ownership was represented. And hell, even if the numbers were skewed by half (hard to imagine) that means that 15 out of every 100 TT's has a suspect, if not outright unacceptable, 2nd gear synchro problem. And Audi would have us believe that "no... we havent heard of any bad trannies, till you walked in here" is unmitigated RUBBISH!!
Old 11-19-1999, 04:08 AM
Andy F

GREAT idea! That or audio tape!. Can't ignore that! (nt)