TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tranny update...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 04:10 PM
Brad Willis

Default Tranny update...

The infamous 2nd gear syncro problem still is not repaired after 4 attempts. As most of you know, my first tranny was replaced, and the 2nd one had major surgery (many parts replaced). Apparently, the major surgery is more complex than just replacing the whole transmission, but Audi was trying to isolate the problem.

Additionally, Audi has tried 3 different transmission oils, a thin synthetic that came from the factory, a thicker conventional, and yesterday they tried a fairly thick Mobil 1 synthetic.

What's really interesting (to me at least) is that the grind does not occur unless the TT has been driven for quite awhile AND it's really hot outside. I had driven my TT for over an hour straight and my temperature readout showed that the temp outside was 93 degrees when the problem resurfaced. It then did about 5 grinds in the next 20 minutes. I'm wondering if other forum participants are having their problems masked by the cooling weather in much of the country. My suspicion is that some of the folks who are thinking "enough with the tranny already" will themselves have problems once the weather warms up again, but time will tell.

I could now officially Lemon Law the TT and get my money back, but I really do like the car and am going to try to work with Audi for as long as my blood pressure and I can hold out, I'll keep everyone posted as to Audi's next step, as I still think that this is a widespread problem.
Old 10-21-1999, 04:20 PM
Bob

Thanks for your posts Brad! They are very informative (nt)
Old 10-21-1999, 04:42 PM
Brian

Default Tranny update offering

Nearly everyone else on this formum thinks they're an automotive engineer, so why should I be any different:

If it only happens when everything is hot, one could not unreasonably assume the drive train is running with different clearances than when it is cold. I would look first in the clutch area. Something has changed with the heat, not allowing full disengagement of the clutch and resultant interference with proper operation of the syncros. It could be as simple as linkage adjustment, or it could be parts damaged or out of tolerance in the clutch disk, pressure plate and throw-out bearing assembly.

If this turns out to be the case, all I ask in return is that you bankroll me on my new web page: The TT Psychic Friends Network. Oh, and your firstborn (girl) child as well.

Old 10-21-1999, 05:19 PM
STTeve R

Default You have much more patience that I would have (more)

Had a police cruiser with the same problem and had major engine problems IF the outside temp went above 65 degrees. After many attempts, finally took Ford MoCo to court and won. They paid for a replacement vehicle, $21K in attorney fees, etc. (We owned the cruisers and leased them back to the municipality--a very unusual arrangement borrowed from Honolulu PD years ago). Anyway, good luck in your endeavors and keep us informed.
STTeve R
Old 10-22-1999, 03:08 AM
GO TT

Default Re: Tranny update offering

I think you might be on to something Brian. I really don't know jack about transmissions, but common sense tells me you might be right. Judging by my experiance in the TT, it seems like my shifting hand is quicker than the clutch disengagement(fully depressed mind you)between 1st and 2nd gear.It's only happened about 5 times, when I go to shift really fast(like when the Z28 at the toll booth hit the gas hard)that it would let out this horrifying grind.The first couple of times I thought it was me, but it isn't. If what your saying is the case , could one of you experienced gearheads offer up a "real solution". I await with great anticipation. Greg