TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tried everything, dealer says cold start hesitation is probably not fixable. WTF, weak...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried everything, dealer says cold start hesitation is probably not fixable. WTF, weak...

Started with the thermostat, then the coolant temp sensor, both were a no go. Then got the new MAF, no good either. Had new spark plugs in only 8K ago, which didn't do anything. Was going to change out the coilpacks, but dealer said they looked at it and they were too new and still checked out fine. They said they have seen this problem before and even had an A4 with the same problem and replaced almost every single part, but was unable to fix the problem. They said it's just bad luck for random cars and it might have to do with the engine and gas. They basically told me tough luck. Any more tips guys, I'm out of ideas?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Default BS...

It doesn't just come out of nowhere. however, you are going to have a tough time getting the dealership to fix it.

It could be coilpacks, spark plugs, or even a small vacuum leak. The vacuum leak is the most probable. you should check all the hoses for tears or cracks or loose connections. That's where I would start anyway.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Tried everything, dealer says cold start hesitation is probably not fixable. WTF, weak...

Get Audi to buy the car back. Audi has a buyback program for cars that cannot be repaired to customer satisfaction. Your dealer can arrange it via the Audi Regional Representative in your region.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take it to someone who knows Audis. Dealer isn't always the best.Modern mechanics are not that well

versed in diagnosis since they depend on computers to tell them whats wrong. If there is no code for the problem, they can't fix it. They have no idea what all the vag monitoring blocks mean and they only look at them when their procedures manual says so. I've experienced this many times before. You need to talk with someone who really knows the car to get an understanding on which VAG blocks to look at, then check the blocks against specified (normal) values, see where the difference is and then figure out what could be causing the difference in readings/parameters. OR simply search this board for similar problems hoping that someone had already went through fixing them and was kind enough to post it here. If you can't find anything, I would suggest getting an official letter from the dealer explaining the situation and forwarding it to AoA requesting their assistance. They definately have the right mechanics who can fix the problem, to bad thouse mechanics are not employed directly by every dealership.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree wit' TTagz - looks like a small vacuum leak >

did you get them to pressurize it?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default try the new GREEN TOPS? i was told by my dealer they are helpful, my car does it too

and i hate it, it cranks but wont start when its cold, but on second try automatically it starts.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

mine too, sometimes. 01 225 coupe.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ditto that.....>>>>

mine does that but ONLY when the fuel is below 1/2 or so

weird stuff
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would suspect fuel pump. It's not maintaining pressure. Maybe regulator.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree, BS

find a dealer with a clue - my car had 2 problems hiding out, bad temp sensor and bad thermostat which conspired to confuse the car and have it running at odd temps (opposite of cold start problem though, it always thought it was cold)

Quick Reply: Tried everything, dealer says cold start hesitation is probably not fixable. WTF, weak...